What's the easiest and best way..........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soupy1957

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2010
Connecticut
www.youtube.com
I went into the living room this morning and decided that the layer of dust on my metal wood stove needed removing..........but.........a wet paper towel (water) didn't really do a good job.

Suggestions for best results at removing dust from a metal wood stove?

-Soupy1957

I dunno, a wet rag always seems to work for me. Was the paper towel just tearing apart too easily?

Power washer.

fv

vacuum with brush attachment

Stove Polish.. Rutland makes one, among many others. On my Peelet Stove upstairs, I use a Micr Fiber Cloth and spray some WD-40 or Remington Gun oil, lightly on the cloth and wipe. But it has a really smooth Finish. The 30 is a little rougher. Never wiped it down yet, because its not fully installed.

I would imagine a Rag would work better than a Paper Towel.. Even if its just water. Water and Steel are not good friends though. I keep rags that are designated for stove use (Window, Exterior, Etc). So I do not make the Wife angry by using all her good rags. Micro Fiber's from Auto Zone, NAPA, HD, Wal-Mart, Lowes, Etc. They can be had for real cheap. No lint comes off of them. On the glass, I rarely use cleaners, or water. Just apply pressure to the dry rag and it cleans really well.

I just use a wet rag, and then be sure to dry the stove thoroughly. You can use a little ammonia in the water if there is stuff that is hard to get off. If the paint is powdery or gray, I would repaint it with a high temp stove paint. Be careful about using stove polish, because it leaves a film on he stove surface that makes it hard to repaint later without going to a lot of work to get it off.

I blow the dust off first ( by huff & puff or shop vac) then follow up with Murphy's Oil mixed w/ water and cheese clothed off.

When I can.

Other wise, it's Windex or the equivelant after a dust removal.

I had my Ophthalmologist perform a fairly simple procedure on my eyes which modified my vision in such a way that I'm no longer capable of seeing dust. Or cobwebs. I highly recommend it. :coolsmile:

I wish my wife had fossil's vision. It would make my life a LOT easier ;)

Be careful that you use...don't use any "windex" type cleaners, they can leave a stink on the stove top for prolonged hours.

Andrew

Feather duster.

Sandblaster...

Ray

JimboM said:
Adios Pantalones said:
French maid.

Sans pantalones?

In French it would be "pantalons"...unless you're talking the next underlayer, in which case it would be "culotte".

fossil said:
JimboM said:
Adios Pantalones said:
French maid.

Sans pantalones?

In French it would be "pantalons"...unless you're talking the next underlayer, in which case it would be "culotte".

I bow to the poster with first hand, as it were, experience.

Layers! I suppose you should never get into a public rock-paper-scissors article of clothing contest with a French lady.

Also with a lady wearing a kimono. You get down to skivvies and they are still on the scarves, belts, and ties. Not that I would know. I had this friend... Well, she was probably not a lady... Oh well - stove, dusty stove.

Adios Pantalones said:
JimboM said:
Adios Pantalones said:
French maid.

Sans pantalones?

Well, we do have a dress code. Or is that un-dress code?

OK...I kept my mouth shut as long as I can....feather dusters are crap BB... >:-( whether pink or not....
You can get a "french maid" outfit on many sites on the web for a very affordable price....just saying... :) for the wife or SO.....not sure if they are available for males....I am sure they are...for those of you interested....

I have wondered myself about the stove polish...saw it at the local stove shop...I will have Mr. Gamma try it...while sporting attire of chainsaw chaps.....boots....sans shirt....maybe an apron too for giggles... ;-P

Swedishchef said:
Fossil,

where's you learn all the french in Oregon?!@?!

A

I didn't. I learned what little I know in California. A long time ago. In order to go to a California State College at that time (which I very much wanted to do), we needed to have (supposedly) become at least marginally conversant in a foreign language. The choices were French or Spanish...or no foreign language, thus no State College. I chose French. A year or two in 8th/9th grades, and another year or two in 10th/11th grades, and I was golden for my college application. That box had a check mark in it. So the last year I "studied" French was about 1965. Dunno why I remember some things in French that are normally completely useless to me and can't remember other things in English that are always very important to me. %-P Rick

I'm amazed that I'm the first to recommend the leaf blower for some off season exercise.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.