What's the Temp by you?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
42F this morning, then it hit 64F at the airport and 58F at our house. Cooler weather is coming now, but still above freezing. Spring is around the corner, Daffodils are 4" tall. Days are getting longer.

42F this morning, then it hit 64F at the airport and 58F at our house. Cooler weather is coming now, but still above freezing. Spring is around the corner, Daffodils are 4" tall. Days are getting longer.
Is this still January? I'm thinking I need a new calendar. 60F here today. Spooky. Not complaining, but the wife wants to start planting the garden.

I planted some radishes and spinach. Waiting for the greenhouse seed order to arrive.

No planting of the garden here...lol currently 0 degrees with a -20 windchill...there are some 40s in the forecast.

Wait a minute . . . are you serious . . . daffodils are actually coming up outside? Unbelievable . . . (which I say as I type this while looking outside as the snow is coming down and the temps are most un-Daffodil-like.)

I planted some radishes and spinach. Waiting for the greenhouse seed order to arrive.
I think I've made my envy known before about spinach. We've never been able to keep it from bolting too soon, but I can't remember the secret. But I think we may try to get some Swiss Chard going. That seems to weather pretty well and maybe peas.

I still think we're pushing things too soon, but who cares? It's fun to try.

My sympathies go out to those with the horrible weather problems.

Yes, I had the seeds so I thought I'd give it a try. We had good luck growing Olympia spinach last couple years. It may be too early, we'll see. Normally I start the plants indoors. Warm soil is the key to germination. If we keep going this way then you may be able to set them out in late February, during another warm spell. We've broken 3 record highs already this month. It popped up to 50 tonight, but it's supposed to be getting cooler soon.

Normally I start the plants indoors.
I do that with my prized tuberous begonias in early spring for a jump start (in planters). Once outdoors at the right time, they are gorgeous. Timing is everything. Maybe we'll try some veggies.

I can't help but think this is some kind of teaser weather here, but we'll see. Seeds are relatively cheap and anything to get us outside is always a good thing... I sure do like spinach though. I am what I am and all that.

Last edited:
It's 27 tonight with the temp trending up, we'll load the Liberty up with Soft & Sugar Maple with a few splits of Oak.

This morning we had 1, it's been a colder winter with some nice snow for the snowmobile trails but then the rains came, We have a bunch of ice so it's made walking pretty slickery. ==c

about 14 right now and falling

We have 32 degrees heading down to 4 so we'll load the Liberty up with Sugar Maple & Oak and then set the Pellet Stove temp at 77.

Both stoves are in the basement so the constant heat from the Pellet Stove makes a big difference once we get down to single digits.

We've been hovering around 42-45º. Seedlings have popped up and are starving for light. Looks like I'll need to get the grow light setup.

just thru in a half a load of maple. it's 37 now and raining and by 7 am we should have a flash freeze with temps dropping during the day and we should be around 9 or 10 tomorrow night

It's 21 tonight with AccuWeather calling for a low of 17 so we'll load the Liberty up with some Sugar Maple.

just thru in a half a load of maple. it's 37 now and raining and by 7 am we should have a flash freeze with temps dropping during the day and we should be around 9 or 10 tomorrow night
got down to 5 but still nice inside:)

We had 33 or 34 this morning with the temps dropping to single digits tonight.

We still don't have enough snow for the sleds so that season is on hold until the next big snowfall.

It's 35 tonight heading down to the high single digits so we'll go with some Sugar Maple & Oak in the Lopi Liberty.

zero.

It was 13 this morning but dropped to 8 with a wind, it warmed up to 15 but the wind stayed with us all day.

It's 15 tonight with it holding that temp most of the night so we'll burn some Maple and Oak.

We're having a whole week in the 70's with sunshine!

boy i'm glad the wife won't see this. everytime we have cold or snow or both she says ready to move yet.

We had 19 this morning so we loaded the Liberty up with some Yellow Birch. We'll be hitting single digits the next three nights so we'll mix in some Oak with Sugar Maple on our overnight burns.