What's this...Tree of Heaven maybe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rangerbait

Feeling the Heat
Dec 17, 2016
Shepherdstown, WV
Saw this for free in the local Craigslist page...anyone know what it is?

0eddbcba120787e66352490a1f42cec4.jpg

Looks like beech to me

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rangerbait
Burn lots of it... Beech... awesome wood!

Can you get or borrow a trailer? I would try to maximize that hour trip! I once fired up both pickups and took both trailers and came back with 4 cord of oak....slowly...with my dump trailer and my buddies equipment trailer...it was all those 2500s wanted but I got her done! lol

If it's free I would get on that. Not sure about other areas around, but there won't be much beech left to harvest in the U.P. Most of it is Being cut off due to Beech scale killing off the old growth trees.☹️

Beech beautiful stuff to burn
Get as much as you can

An hour is a long drive, but if the wood is easy to reach you might end up saving time by driving.

Reactions: Wood Collector
<--- that's a beech tree in my avatar pic. Burns hot, coals great. Your pic has beech bark for sure. It's interesting that the light/dark pattern is reversed. As Dtcryan said, beech trees won't be around for long, so enjoy it before you can't.

And I'm left wondering, again, what trees we'll have left in 40-50 years.

...and then it hit me... Call the DNR or forrest service and find out if the area it is located has beech bark disease as well as where you are. If they do and you don't, please leave it there.

Reactions: Rangerbait
...and then it hit me... Call the DNR or forrest service and find out if the area it is located has beech bark disease as well as where you are. If they do and you don't, please leave it there.

Good tip...although as it turns out, I'm not going to be able to swing a trip out there to grab it anyway. Too many projects underway around the house.

<--- that's a beech tree in my avatar pic. Burns hot, coals great. Your pic has beech bark for sure. It's interesting that the light/dark pattern is reversed. As Dtcryan said, beech trees won't be around for long, so enjoy it before you can't.

A friend of mine works for the DNR forestry div, said the beech scale fungus is only showing up on the more mature trees, said the younger trees and the saplings look healthy, so far.

As Dtcryan said, beech trees won't be around for long, so enjoy it before you can't.

I guess we're lucky down here. Beeches are still doing fine--they're all over the place and healthy as can be. I've never even burned a single stick of beech because I haven't lost more than twigs off of them in the 20+ years I've been here.

But like you, I wonder what the future holds. After Dutch elm disease, EAB, and all those other nasties seem to wipe out one species after another, I worry what will be next. Hickory? Maple? Oak? Let's hope we either figure out how to stop importing pests or learn to control them. :eek:

Forester meeting this week: "if you have big beech, contract to have them removed while they still have value. Your grandchildren will likely never see a mature beech."

If the maples go, I'll have poplar and red pine. Sad. Very very sad.

If you really get a lot of the beech, stack it in a sunny windy location or it will turn white and deteriorate pretty quickly.
Great burning wood though.

Iron wood for sure, you don't usually see it that big. Good score.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk