What's with this baby bear?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Nov 3, 2017
Georgia
Possibly found a good deal on this heater. On my baby bear the door closed and locked down the handle isnt anywhere near that low. Any thoughts?

It might have a rope gasket in the door that shouldn't be there.

Picture

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190102-190121_OfferUp.jpg
    Screenshot_20190102-190121_OfferUp.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 289
Reactions: Todd67
Hmm, maybe the door looks latched but isn't.

Or the latch is bent out of whack, which can be straightened out and fixed. My Grandma bear latch needs some adjustment.

There should be a wedge on the stove front inside the door locks on. It should be over 1/2 way up.
Is it there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you tell if the handle inside is catching the wedge?
Could be the handle inside is bent away from the wedge and either barely catching it or missing it completely.

Look at the handle on the Baby Bear in my avatar, that's typical.

Reactions: Todd67 and CamFan
This is a VI with "time delay" door latch system.

That handle in post #3 is in the OPEN position.

This is the latched position; Baby Napa VI front.jpg

To open; rotate clockwise about 1/4 turn to stop, to unlatch.
Open door slightly. (it won't open any farther) This allows air to rush in and start a good draft. This creates a second or so time lag opening the door, while swinging the latch handle right to left before opening fully. The door will not open fully until handle is rotated counter clockwise to the same locked position. With door open, the handle continues to rotate counter clockwise to the position shown in your picture.
That is where the handle stays while door is open.

You can simply close the door with handle in that position. That is not the proper operation, and you can't latch the door. That is when it was photographed.

To close; Rotate the handle to about 9:00 when closing, then close fully while rotating handle counter clockwise. When shut tight, the handle can be brought back down (counter clockwise) to locked position.

People that are not sure about the delay feature that is built in, will close the door with handle in the fully open (down) position and not be able to latch it.

So the door is shut with the handle fully open.
They need to rotate the handle upwards, (clockwise) it bumps the door open slightly, (to the air leak, draft starting position) then continue rotating until it stops. Close door fully, rotate counter clockwise to locked position.

You'll probably find they have never used the stove and they are not familiar with how the latch works.

When you are used to the handle operation, it becomes something you don't think about and just do it. The VI manual shows sequence of handle operation as well on page 16. Figure 17 shows the handle in latched, unlatched (top), and open (bottom) positions.

The door appears to be shut in the photo. When a latch rod is out of adjustment, the handle is not more than 1/4 turn off.
This is an adjustment issue;
handle out of adjustment.jpg

The handle in the photo in post #3 is in the open (at rest) position. Shown as position 5 below;

The only assumption I made is that they don't know how to close the door because most people taking a picture would latch it correctly for the photo.
I've picked up 2 stoves that were in homes that the current owners never used the stove and couldn't figure out how to open and close the doors.

I've never seen one of this type in person needing adjustment. If that's what you're assuming ==c.

Reactions: Fishing-addict
Dual Action latch shown in Insert Manual page 12;

upload_2019-1-3_9-12-32.png

Reactions: Fishing-addict
Coaly, Of all the hypotheses (bent latch, missing wedge, gasket material ) yours was the simplest and probably correct! Just an unlatched door!

do you have a download for the manual of this model baby bear
Use the VI manual for the arched door pictured.
A flat top door would use the first manual for stoves before 1980.