1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Whats your back up when you lose power

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Fish On, Nov 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peirhead

peirhead Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    PEI Canada
    My Xantrex inverter fried when i tried to connect the APC 1400UPS from my Prius...There is some kind of inrush thing that requires a much larger capacity (at least 2x the UPS size) anyways I gave up in the Prius thing and am going to go with the Honda EU2000i and just power a few things I really need.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. John_M

John_M Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central NY
    Honda EU6500is. Feeding a properly installed, UL Listed manual transfer switch. This runs t.v, computer, well pump, propane boiler, computer, refrig, coffee pot, light in every room, garage door openers, etc. Have only had to use it once but that one time made it worthwhile. John_M
  3. wolfkiller

wolfkiller Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Salcha alaska
    My backup is a 12 kw kubota 1800 rpm genset in a heatable shed. It is wired to a xantrex 4 kw inverter-charger. I also have 20 l-16 batteries that will run my house for about 2 weeks. I have a 300 gal fuel tank piped to the the generator. I have 8- 140 watt solar pannels on a seeker in the yard. I also have a wisper 200 wind mill on a 200' tower out back. With a full fuel tank I can make all my power for about 20 years. The only back up I dont have is the utility company.
  4. ffspeed

ffspeed New Member

Loc:
    Rome, N.Y.
    Turning off the main breaker doesn't cut all the legs in the breaker box. There are three legs in there, and the main breaker only cut two of them. The third one is a ground, but could still send power into your house and fry your genny, if the line man happened to cross a wire.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.