What's your favorite BEER?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
not much of a beer drinker any more

used to like rolling rock but now that it is brewed in new jersey - not so much
Bass is OK

used to like Old Milwaukee Light but not Old Milwaukee

I wouldn't drink any of those mentioned or pictured so far.

In the fridge right now:

Weirbacher Blithering Idiot
La Trappe Quadrupel
Maredsous Tripel
Grimbergen Dubbel
Affligem Blonde
Weirbacher Imperial Pumpkin (seasonal leftover)
Guiness Draft (for when you don't need 9% ABV)

A favorite? Who can choose?!? If I had to nail just one, I'd say Allagash Curieux, but that could change tomorrow. Delirium Tremens is also very high on the list, and about half the price of Curieux.

Ok. I have made some notes for myself to try these. I can't believe you snubbed Hoegaarden!!! That stuff is delicious.

tasting%20room,%2007-20-12.jpg It's amazing how many Long Islanders are on the forum. Yes I like the microbreweries as well. The Southampton Blonde is great. I'm really glad to see a new brewery in Port Jefferson. Here's a pic of the taps. They do a $5.00 tasting of five different brews. It's great. The bar tender tells you details about each brew as you're served. The environment is cool. Very nautical.

Last edited:
This thread is awesome. I was hoping to find some new beers. Great replies.

I'm tempted to dust off the bottles and caps from my last U-Brew experience years ago and go experiment a bit. We had a local brew pub once, and a local Brewery. Both long gone :(...

For any of you stout drinkers out there...I highly recommend giving Speedway Stout from Alesmith a try.
It pours like Hersey syrup and drinks like a meal. Very nice:
http://alesmith.com/beers/speedway-stout/

"has been rated the #1 BEST BEER IN THE WORLD at ratebeer.com"

I had to try it. Is it the "best" - dunno. Most definitely very good.

I'm tempted to dust off the bottles and caps from my last U-Brew experience years ago and go experiment a bit. We had a local brew pub once, and a local Brewery. Both long gone :(...

Micro breweries sprang up everywhere for a while. I guess a lot couldn't sustain it after the initial fad ended. We are pretty lucky that a couple were able to stay on. On the bright side you can get plenty of good beer at the local distributor, much better than when I was younger.

View attachment 124032 It's amazing how many Long Islanders are on the forum. Yes I like the microbreweries as well. The Southampton Blonde is great. I'm really glad to see a new brewery in Port Jefferson. Here's a pic of the taps. They do a $5.00 tasting of five different brews. It's great. The bar tender tells you details about each brew as your served. The environment is cool. Very nautical.

You like the dry or hoppy beers rather than the malty ones?

Micro breweries sprang up everywhere for a while. I guess a lot couldn't sustain it after the initial fad ended. We are pretty lucky that a couple were able to stay on. On the bright side you can get plenty of good beer at the local distributor, much better than when I was younger.

There is a large variety at the beer store, that's a good point. It was just really cool to walk into a pub and sample a pint drawn off by the brewmaster. Something you couldn't find anywhere else. I envy you guys that have that going on around you.

You like the dry or hoppy beers rather than the malty ones?

I actually prefer the whites or hefeweisen, but I like most beers. I like IPAs, some ports, the specialty fruity or pumpkins. I'm just a fan of beer.

If I'm gonna drink a pissy cheap swill I prefer PBRs, but that's a rarity to be honest. Tonight I'm drinking Golden Monkey Victory. 1003.jpg

This thread encouraged me to go to the local beer distributor. I also picked up Chimay Tripel. These are both new to me. lWhiteBottle.jpg

I actually prefer the whites or hefeweisen, but I like most beers. I like IPAs, some ports, the specialty fruity or pumpkins. I'm just a fan of beer.

If I'm gonna drink a pissy cheap swill I prefer PBRs, but that's a rarity to be honest. Tonight I'm drinking Golden Monkey Victory. View attachment 124090

This thread encouraged me to go to the local beer distributor. I also picked up Chimay Tripel. These are both new to me. View attachment 124092

Yeah I'm with you I like a lot of different things except IPA's, little too hoppy for me. The Trappiste Ale's are a favorite of mine. Tonight I had a nice German Doppelbock from Spaten.

I am pretty familiar with chimay but would entertain clones.==c

Here too, Trappiste Rochefort 10 is as good as it gets but limited supply and pricey, good subs would be welcomed.

Now you're in my wheelhouse. I think Chimay might have also been my first Tripel, and it's a good one. If you like it, I can recommend many more, some a little more friendly on the wallet due to nothing but less marketing.
Let's here it. Post a list, you beer snob.

I literally copied and pasted your posts from this thread. Showed it to the dude at the beverage place and ended up with Golden Monkey and Chimay Tripel. I also told him I prefer Hefeweizen and whites. Any way I'm definitely open to checking out a list of brews from your obviously extensive body of research.

Reactions: Ashful
Not clones... just other Trappist ales. Chimay is decent, but about as popular as Budweiser around here, so I usually gravitate toward others. My favorite Tripel styles are:

Delirium Tremens - Not a true trappist ale, but actually considered by many to be better than most true Trappist ales. I've had trouble getting this in the bottle with lots of solids ("floaters"). Some distributors will try to tell you this is normal, "there's no problem," but it's not. The floaters are protiens solidifying, due to air getting into the bottle, and they do change the taste a bit. However, if you can find a fresh case of it, this is probably my single favorite triple. Case price is $115 around here.

Maredsous Tripel - excellent brew at only $89 a case. I almost always have this one in the fridge.

St. Bernardous Watou Tripel - I list this one because most of my beer nut group of friends name this as one of their favorites. I think it's good, but it's not at the top of my list. I do often have it, though, since it's part of the St. Bernardous variety pack. THIS VARIETY PACK IS THE BEST SAMPLER OF TRAPPIST STYLE BEERS YOU WILL FIND ANYWHERE. PERIOD. BUY IT. Case price on variety pack is $108 here, Watou Tripel case is maybe $115.

Westmalle Tripel - This used to be my go-to beer. It's good, but I drank it so frequently I got tired of it. It's been a year or two since I've even had it, so it's tough to say much exciting about it.

Victory Golden Monkey - Victory is a local microbrew, but they make some world-class beer. Mostly really hoppy stuff I don't enjoy, but their Golden Monkey is pretty good. It's listed at only 9.5%, but most swear it must be higher (or maybe it contains crack). People seem to do stupid stuff on this brew... people who are used to drinking big ABV beers. Again, not at the top of my list, but it's definitely on my list. Case price is only $60 here, but we're local / might be more in your neck of the woods.

Victory White Monkey - This is just Golden Monkey aged in white wine barrels. It's one of my favorite limited beers to buy, when you can find it. They only make small batches very occasionally. It's not one I'd recommend to someone new to Trappist ales, as it's really a bastardization, but it's a nice change for someone who drinks them regularly. I'm not sure if this is even available in case form, as I've only ever seen it in single 25 oz. bottles.

Allagash Tripel - Made in Maine, of all places. I can't remember for sure, but I think there's some cross-pollenation between Ommegang, Duvel, and Allagash. In any case, it's a good American take on the traditional Belgian Tripel. Never bought this by the case, only the glass. It's not my favorite, but it's a favorite among some of my other beer snob friends.

Allagash Curieux - This is just their Tripel aged in Knob Creek bourbon barrels. It's a super-tasty extra-special treat, for the guy who's had it all. It runs $99.99 per 6-pack around here, but those are 25-oz bottles, so equivalent case price is $200.

Buncha drunks....

Let's here it. Post a list, you beer snob.

I literally copied and pasted your posts from this thread. Showed it to the dude at the beverage place and ended up with Golden Monkey and Chimay Tripel. I also told him I prefer Hefeweizen and whites. Any way I'm definitely open to checking out a list of brews from your obviously extensive body of research.
Hah... you were typing while I was typing. If you already got those two, you've got a good idea of what Tripels should taste like. Next time in, I'd try a Dubbel or a Quad.

Dubbels: typically made with wine-makers yeast, dark, caramel, sweet, and 6% - 8% ABV, most run $80/case
Tripel: typically finished with champagne yeast, light, bright, nosey, citrus to tart, 8% - 10% ABV, most run $110/case
Quad: not sure how they're made, but they're dark, generally more more sweet and syrupy (think towards Barleywine ale), 10% - 12% ABV

Dubbels:
Grimbergen (phenomenal dubbel, and not super-expensive)
Westmalle
Allagash
Chimay

Quads:
Ommegang Three Philosophers (excellent, but not a "true" quad)
Pauwel Kwak (a personal favorite of mine)
La Trappe Quad (my old favorite... but got tired of it)

edit: didn't mean to dis' Hoegaarden before. It's a decent wheat beer, but... it's a wheat beer. I used to drink a lot of Weisse and Hefeweizen beers, but just sort of outgrew 'em.

Last edited:
Reactions: dafattkidd
As my boss once said "I have spilled more on my tie than you guys will ever drink.". ;lol

Victory Golden Monkey - Victory is a local microbrew, but they make some world-class beer. Mostly really hoppy stuff I don't enjoy, but their Golden Monkey is pretty good. It's listed at only 9.5%, but most swear it must be higher (or maybe it contains crack). People seem to do stupid stuff on this brew... people who are used to drinking big ABV beers. Again, not at the top of my list, but it's definitely on my list. Case price is only $60 here, but we're local / might be more in your neck of the woods.
I'm folding clothes and organizing my closet while drinking this stuff. Wild behavior.

*Only $13 for six, so not bad at all in terms of cost locally.

As my boss once said "I have spilled more on my tie than you guys will ever drink.". ;lol
That's probably true for me. To be honest I drink 2-3 a night and that's really it. I haven't been drunk since high school. But, I do love beer. I indulge in moderation.

Joyful, we need to do A pub crawl. You have named some of my favorites
(Except you haven't named hacker pschoor yet)

If I'm gonna drink a pissy cheap swill I prefer PBRs, but that's a rarity to be honest. Tonight I'm drinking Golden Monkey Victory. View attachment 124090

This thread encouraged me to go to the local beer distributor. I also picked up Chimay Tripel. These are both new to me. View attachment 124092

Love that funky monkey...

Piraat ale is another fine belgian.
Great Lakes brewing up your way has some good stuff, especially the Ed. Fitzgerald.
Brooklyn's chocolate stout, better than Victory storm king IMO
Terapin's rye is a neat "Lawnmower beer" for me
Franzikanner is my top wheat beer, especially the dunkleweiss
Starr hill dark star from down my way is excellent!
(don't forget to support the local guys.;))