Your Favorite Part of Wood Burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

St. Coemgen

Feeling the Heat
Feb 4, 2016
Hungary
www.stcoemgen.com
What is your favorite part of wood burning?

For some it may be the harvesting and cutting of the wood.

For others it may be the stacking to get X years ahead.

For others it may be the management of the stove in the house to max heat output.

For others it may be something else entirely.

To all, I ask, what is your favorite part of wood burning?

Side note: My favorite part is tending the stove. I love watching the fire, poking at the wood in the fire, stirring the coals, and adding wood as needed. Very hands on. But that is just me. Love to read what you love to do.

We have to do all of it so we take pleasure in all of it. That includes keeping the saws sharp, keeping the splitter and tractor working and all of the rest that goes with it. That said I need to get up and cut as I have trees down that need to be cleaned up.

Reactions: marty319

For others it may be the management of the stove in the house to max heat output.

Side note: My favorite part is tending the stove. I love watching the fire, poking at the wood in the fire, stirring the coals, and adding wood as needed. Very hands on. But that is just me. Love to read what you love to do.
Yes I enjoy tending the fire as well .the harvesting of the wood is my biggest enjoyment as I get older it's keeping me in shape.

Watching the fire while napping on my couch with a cat curled up next to me knowing my oil boiler is not turning on

stove.jpg.

My favorite part of wood heating is like what was already said. I just like to burns stuff. I no Pyro tho. Just a bored guy with heating needs like everyone. Oil is outrageous.

I like harvesting wood. I think chainsaws are cool machines. Then I split by hand, build a big stack, and stand back and feel both accomplished and self sufficient. I actually had several cord of wood split and stacked before I even found a way to get a stove in my house. Driving around when I see big dead oaks I just think about all the BTUs that exist in the world, that I’ll never get a chance to split and dry and burn 😥

I like harvesting wood. I think chainsaws are cool machines. Then I split by hand, build a big stack, and stand back and feel both accomplished and self sufficient. I actually had several cord of wood split and stacked before I even found a way to get a stove in my house. Driving around when I see big dead oaks I just think about all the BTUs that exist in the world, that I’ll never get a chance to split and dry and burn 😥
I gotta say, as the weaker of the two sexes and an aging one to boot, I do get a tremendous sense of satisfaction when I finally break apart a big round with my maul. I do tend to stand back and admire my work probably more than I should.

When it's over, but it's never, ever, over ;) <insert Brother Barts Fave Mem Here :mad:>

Excellent thread, Coemgen! I think my favorite parts are:

1. Having an excuse to be outside in winter, for which my wife can't accuse me of "going out and having fun" while she is stuck indoors dealing with kids and cleaning.

2. Collapsing on the couch in front of one of our stoves at the end of a long day outside working, preferably with a glass of bourbon nearby.

3. Tallying how much we saved on oil this year.

But here's another twist, what I miss about burning in a modern appliance:

1. That wood smoke smell when I pull up the driveway. The modern stoves emit so little that the wind has to be just right to catch anything.

2. The sound and smell of an open fireplace. Wood stoves are a very poor substitute for the ambiance of an open fireplace.

3. The look of smoke trailing from a chimney.

I gotta say, as the weaker of the two sexes...
So this piqued my curiosity. Having watched my wife go thru about 18 hours of labor with no drugs, despite the fact that I can haul more wood and move more snow than her, I know she's tougher than I'll ever be.

Excellent thread, Coemgen! I think my favorite parts are:

1. Having an excuse to be outside in winter, for which my wife can't accuse me of "going out and having fun" while she is stuck indoors dealing with kids and cleaning.

2. Collapsing on the couch in front of one of our stoves at the end of a long day outside working, preferably with a glass of bourbon nearby.

3. Tallying how much we saved on oil this year.

But here's another twist, what I miss about burning in a modern appliance:

1. That wood smoke smell when I pull up the driveway. The modern stoves emit so little that the wind has to be just right to catch anything.

2. The sound and smell of an open fireplace. Wood stoves are a very poor substitute for the ambiance of an open fireplace.

3. The look of smoke trailing from a chimney.

So this piqued my curiosity. Having watched my wife go thru about 18 hours of labor with no drugs, despite the fact that I can haul more wood and move more snow than her, I know she's tougher than I'll ever be.
Don't read too much into it. It's just a generalization. I'm a bit weak up top. Splitting wood definitely helps the muscle tone, and if I'm really pissed about something or really stressed out, it's fantastic therapy. I'm pretty damn tough too, but I'll never be able to split some stuff that guys make look easy.

Reactions: trail guy Mike

The splitting.

And the independence.

Reactions: tabner
I gotta say, as the weaker of the two sexes and an aging one to boot, I do get a tremendous sense of satisfaction when I finally break apart a big round with my maul. I do tend to stand back and admire my work probably more than I should.
Girlfriend, there isn't anything weak about that.

Rock on !!!! ;)

Reactions: begreen
Because for some hard work and planning I get a better heat in the house, which my wife likes.
Also feeling more self-reliant and working with nature.
As a bonus- we have electric baseboard heat. Just saw on the news that the electric company is looking to raise supply price……..by x2!

Last edited:
Reactions: Niro
My favorite part? Not felling a tree - there are too many things that can go wrong - like a limb to the head, bar getting pinched, rotten tree barber chairing, etc... Not stacking - I hate stacking - (this is when I wish I had kids). Not limbing - it has to be done, though. And you have to get those limbs out of the way, too. Not loading the rounds into the trailer/truck - this can be exhausting. What's left?

I like bucking the tree up. This is especially true for long tree sections with few limbs - just clean chain-sawing. Splitting the wood with a hydro or kinetic splitter is also liked.

Because for some hard work and planning I get a better heat in the house, which my wife likes.
Also feeling more self-reliant and working with nature.
As a bonus- we have electric baseboard heat. Just saw on the news that the electric company is looking to raise supply price……..by x2!
Eversource CEO makes 4.7 million salary and they want a 43% rate increase. It's ridiculous.

I like that the house will be warm all night and in the morning, and there will be no giant fan ripping the quiet and blowing fossil heat around.

Reactions: PAbeech
Sitting in front of the stove enjoying the radiant heat. Then I think about how I got to that point and the satisfaction of cutting, splitting and stacking all my wood. It's me or it never happens.

Don't read too much into it. It's just a generalization. I'm a bit weak up top. Splitting wood definitely helps the muscle tone, and if I'm really pissed about something or really stressed out, it's fantastic therapy. I'm pretty damn tough too, but I'll never be able to split some stuff that guys make look easy.
sometimes when I’m working away at a big oak piece, and I finally get that big maul drop that sinks in with a “pop” so you know you’ve finally got it, I occasionally let out a triumphant growl/roar. Sorta like a weight lifter at the top of a squat? I only started noticing it cause when my three year old is nearby in the yard he says “why did you yell daddy?” And then I have to try and explain myself 😂
I agree - excellent therapy, and that feeling of accomplishment is very rewarding.

Reactions: ispinwool
I enjoy all aspects of it from the free tree service wood to the repairing chainsaws and running a log splitter. But if I'm honest I enjoy that my wife helps me bring the wood in and she keeps the stove going when I'm at work.

The best is just having a nice glass of red wine with my wife in front of the warm fire.

I really really enjoy harvesting the wood. I wish it was my full time job. I also love being outside on a cold day and looking at the chimney seeing the heat come off the top w some smoke and knowing it's toasty inside. And can't forget about the smell of burning wood.