Whats your ideal house temp??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henz

Mar 23, 2006
Northville, NY
Now here is a question for you all. My hosue is small and open concept. The Olympic that I have basically states that it will heat close to 2x the sqft that I have but I thinki ts just perfect. Anyways, my question is, what is everyones ideal house temp.ie. what does the temp have to be for you to be able to either lay down on the floor (which is usually the coldest) and relax. For me, believe it or not, its like 84 degrees!
I dont know if I need it that high because we have become accustomed to having our house temp 80+ during the entire winter or what. I may, just may, at the start of next years heating season, if this one ever ends, ty to target 75 max. Wonder if we would get used to it!

68 is good for me, 78+ is what the wife would like so we are around 72 most of the time.

so that is basically warm? at 72 do you have cold spots? Hell, my thermostat is at about shoulder height and in the same room as my stove. The thermostat may read 85, another thermometer on the floor may read 72!

68-70 during the day, 62-63 at night for sleeping

Logic doesn't apply. Women are from Venus (hot planet) and men are from Mars (cold planet). If you don't want to sleep alone, keep the house cozy.

My wife likes it as hot as the stove will get it...so by default, that's what I think. Me...as long as the water pipes don't freeze I don't care. I'll go out to the mailbox with shorts and a T shirt in a raging blizzard. Happiness to me is having a frozen snow less winter that I can get my tractor in the swamp and harvest trees.

Insert is in the same room as the thermostat at shoulder hieght it reads 76 and the bed rooms stay at 70 or so .The best part is I dont have to run full throttle

For me I am happy if it is around 72 during the day and 65 at night.
The wife goes from 85 to 60 during the day, and 60-80 during the night.
Usually when it is warm she wants it cold so I shut down the stove then she freezes and wants it hot.

Either way I stay in the basement allot. :down:

Target around here is 74.

Ideal temperature in our house is wherever I feel comfortable. Most days that is up around 80. I do keep it warmer than the wife would like though. It is a bit of a battle here most times. Being a post-polio victim the cold bothers me more, so the temperature goes up in the house.

I do not understand those folks who say to add clothing, put on a sweater, etc. If you are heating with wood, heat the dang house! Why be cold? That is one of the main reasons we heat with wood. I want to be warm. If I need to feel cold, I'll just go outdoors.

Backwoods Savage said:
I do not understand those folks who say to add clothing, put on a sweater, etc. If you are heating with wood, heat the dang house! Why be cold? That is one of the main reasons we heat with wood. I want to be warm. If I need to feel cold, I'll just go outdoors.

Because I don't want it warm in the house- I'll start sweating above about 72F. If I keep it at 68F- she can put on a sweater, I wear a tshirt, and we're both comfy.

luv your avatar..American Standard toilet. :)

We like ours around 70....when it gets toward 80 in the stove room we're sweating.....this is why Im ok with what my stove will do on my big house. On the coldest of nights it might be in the mid-high 60's in the outer rooms and up in the bedrooms which was good for sleeping anyway!

My wife's default position is, "I'm a little bit cold."

Since my house humidity level in the winter is usually ~28-30%, low 70 Fs is solid for me, but I run it hotter for my wife. Early spring, when the humidity indoors is in the mid 40s, high 60s F is good, but that almost impossible, because it is so much warmer outside . . . so we end up with mid to high 70s anyway.

Before I used wood heat, I used to set the thermostat at 66-67 F and run a humidifier to bump the air moisture to 60-65%. Loading the air with more molecules made the air FEEL +5 F warmer. Cut down on the static shocks too.

Pook said:
i sez to W, hat is most efficient way to conserve body heat
she sez, bet paper bag on my head would work better & make her hot
now i wear paper bag trying to save a little wood!

Try one of those Austin Powers pump things. "That's not mine baby"! Hell we manage with 65- 66 in the living room and 58 - 60 in the bed room with an electric blanket for a mattress pad. Hell, at work I wear short sleeves and a vest with a thin shell over that most of the time. The warmer I dress all the time the colder I feel so I try to "embrace the horror" and try to convince myself that I really enjoy freezing my tucus off.

74 keeps the better half happy in the living room. Bedroom is about 10 degrees cooler and perfect for sleeping, etc.

I have the stove in the basement, so it's always toasty down there, but upstairs is usually 3-7 degrees cooler so I try to keep the upstairs over 70. On the real windy cold below zero days I will burn the fireplace upstairs and can easily get up over 80. No sweaters or extra clothes for anyone here, if someone complains their cold the fire gets stoked.

anywhere from 65 to 72 with 68 being the sweet spot. BTW, what does DW mean? Dumb Wife.......................?

For most DW = Dear Wife, DH = Dear Hubby. Often they come in matched pairs ;-P

We're both usually pretty content at around 70 or so. Much above 74 it starts to feel a bit too warm. I've gotten it up to 79 a couple of times, and I caught hell about it. Bedroom is always a few degrees cooler, which is fine. I try to keep my shop somewhere around 68. Rick

Living Area: The wife and I like 68*F but I keep it cooler, about 65*F, which lets me see "the turkey's done"... ;-)

Bedroom: We both like it cool, about 62*F.

Bathroom: Warmer and wider is better. Coming out of the shower, it's gotta be 80*F+ (accessory wall heater and radiant in-floor-heating) to prevent "goose flesh".

Aye,
Marty

Grandma used to say: "If you can't stand the heat in the kitchen, don't cook".

Everyone is different with variances in comfort perception . I am not young and have arthritis and I like it on the warm side [75-85] all year long . But I have a friend who thinks 68 is hot and I learned to take a jacket to visit his house even in the summer . If that's your comfort range quit worrying about it as long as you don't mind splitting the extra wood .

Status
Not open for further replies.