1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

When did VC improve refractory?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by GJUL, Feb 15, 2013.

1. GJUL

GJUL New Member

Hello all,

First - thanks in advance for this ability to tap into your expertise. I have a Vermont Castings Defiant 2 in 1 that has a manufactured date of March 18, 2011. Does anyone know if this stove would have the most up to date design and have the new recipe for the refractory components?

Thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. STOVEGUY11

STOVEGUY11 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SOUTHERN CT
    The 2 N 1's do have the most updated refractory inside of them. The first few that came out did not have a notch in the catalyst refractory cover/door. They kept falling out onto the grate and breaking. So they re-designed it to have a notch in the cover plate that would nest in the fireback refractory better. There were not many that went out with out the notch. VC sent the retrofit to us for the few that we had that did not have the notch.
  3. GJUL

GJUL New Member

Thanks for the info
  4. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    Even though it's the most up to date, they still have had problems with breakage, as I recall. Kinda like putting fine china in your woodstove. I'm not diggin it!