1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

When do you use a damper?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by neumsky, Oct 6, 2012.

1. neumsky

neumsky Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Oklahoma City
    I put a damper on my jotul Oslo because of what someone called a willing pony when I had our PE Spectrum. I had some pretty high temps with it & yet to have the same experience with the Oslo. My question is than...would it be any advantage to use my damper(which btw sits right on the stove outlet...which is another question) other than thermo runaways?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

This is a preference issue for most people ! You do not technically need one however it is an extra draft control. We have one that I use on very windy days to slow the draft a bit. High temps can be caused buy swirling winds above your pipe outside not allowing a fast enough draft as well as too short of a chimney not having enough draft. Even to tall of a chimney causing to much draft. In our case we had a lot of obstructions causing swirling wind above the chimney. We used a special anti backdraft cap and that fixed the issue but high winds still call for additional damper control very occasionally.

Pete
  3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I'd just use the damper only if you absolutely have to. It will not hurt a thing just leaving it full open, at least until you have to clean. Just a bit more diddling around cleaning the damper.
  4. neumsky

neumsky Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Oklahoma City
    So it does have to be cleaned??? Even if I have it just sitting on the outlet? I figured it would never..due to the heat...get creosooted up.
  5. neumsky

neumsky Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Oklahoma City
    That's the next question I have...would it be more effective if it was sitting higher up the flue?
  6. doug60

doug60 Member

Loc:
    north jersey
    I have had dampers on several stoves , Within 18 inches of the outlet of the stove. They never required cleaning, being so close to the heat source keep them fairly clean.
  7. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Whether they need it or not, the wood you have and how you burn will determine if the damper has to be cleaned. Most folks do find it needs cleaning. Some have removed the dampers because they wanted to clean the chimney either through the stove or top down to the stove. Damper in the way...