When I hear the furnace kick on I......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If my furnace kicks on, there’s no denying I had too much to drink.

pen

I do believe I am with pen on this one.

KC

hossthehermit said:
Mine kicks on all the time, I'm used to it. Oh, BTW, it runs on pellets.

Eh...Hoss beat me to it-mine burns regular 'ol wood though...

The only time mine comes on is when I make it come on, otherwise, no furnace action here.
Only once a month test to make sure it operates AS BACK UP to the insert.

* ducks for cover *

At 77 cents a therm I don't freak out when the boiler fires up. I certainly prefer the stove but when I cant burn (either due to work or mild weather) I appreciate the whistle of the radiator vents. Sitting next to a big iron steam radiator isnt too bad.

ugh

77 cents/therm

3.75/gal

Thats
gas: $7.70 Per Million Btu
fuel oil: $28.84 Per Million Btu
Wood (I pay for mine) : $8.75 Per Million Btu
heat pump (estimate for mine): $16-18 Per Million Btu

This isnt considering delivery efficiency (mid 80's for natural gas, 82% for my oil burner, I think 72% for the wood stove).

At those prices... run your natural gas furnace all day long! Wish i could get natural gas at my house...

maverick06 said:
ugh

77 cents/therm

3.75/gal

Thats
gas: $7.70 Per Million Btu
fuel oil: $28.84 Per Million Btu
Wood (I pay for mine) : $8.75 Per Million Btu
heat pump (estimate for mine): $16-18 Per Million Btu

This isnt considering delivery efficiency (mid 80's for natural gas, 82% for my oil burner, I think 72% for the wood stove).

At those prices... run your natural gas furnace all day long! Wish i could get natural gas at my house...

I exaggerate. There are also delivery charges so I think the total for gas comes out to around $1.15 or $1.20 to the house... Steam boiler is 83% and the stove is 75ish. Its close but wood still has a slight price benefit for me (About half I bought at summer prices $150ish and half I cut).

Even at break even I would burn wood though :)

...why wouldn't you just turn your furnace off if the thought/cost of using it is problematic? If the wife and I fall asleep before stocking the fireplace up for a nightly burn such that the fire goes out (for example), it's worth the cost not to wake up to a chilly house and have to start a fire just for the 45 minutes it takes to get ready for work.

Same here, natural gas runs around $1.15/ccf all said and done.

I say around $500-600/winter to heat with wood and I keep the house much warmer as well. 68* is "ok" but low 70s is much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.