1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

when is to much wood?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by bruce, Feb 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bruce

bruce Member

Loc:
    long pond pa
    when do you stop collecting wood?
    i have about 15 cord split and stacked ready to go, at 3 cord a year im good for a few,,
    how much is to much?
    i know i slowed down the collecting

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    When a preacher you never met in your life is standing over your box talking about what a great person you were.
  3. Corie

Corie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Halifax, VA
    hahahahah :werd:
  4. wg_bent

wg_bent Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Time to buy another stove. Your clearly not buring enough. Can't you heat the garage or somthin'. How about a green house? Ask Eric how to heat more. He's heating a Walmart.
  5. Corey

Corey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Midwest
    I usually only cut enough for the next year, but that is mainly due to limited time. Although, even if I had the time, I don't know if I would cut more than a couple years in advance. The way I look at it, is if you can use it, great. But if you go to the trouble to cut the tree, split the wood, haul it and stack it just to see it rot away or turn to dust from bugs, it's just wasteful. When you start talking 5, 6 or 7 years out you have to go to some pretty good measures to make sure the wood doesn't rot away.

Corey
  6. zogboy

zogboy New Member

Loc:
    CNY
    I agree that you need to worry about rot.
    Why not sell 8 cords and use the money to pay for a mid winter getaway for 36 holes;)
  7. Mike Wilson

Mike Wilson New Member

Loc:
    Orient Point, NY
    Keep 10 cord, and give 5 cord away, one to each of 5 separate woodburners in your town. The good will and favors you receive will last years longer than the wood will.

-- Mike
  8. Corie

Corie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Halifax, VA
    True. Or even better, give all five cords to a family who you know can't afford to heat their house all winter. Or to an old timer that can't barely cut his wood anymore, but refuses to stop heating with his wood stove.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.