when it seems you are gonna overfire what do you do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Treacherous said:
Actually I can watch it bring the flue temps down with the double wall probe so this would seem to indicate that firebox temps are going down as well.

HotCoals said:
Treacherous said:
I just turn the fan on high on my Lopi. It seems to be able to bring it down no matter what.
It will bring the "thermometers" down..no doubt.
But I doubt it's slowing your fire much.
Pretty good trick then..cooling the fire through steel or whatever your stove is.
It can't bring down a raging fire very fast though..been there done that.
It will cool the temp of the stove itself some I guess and because of that, less heat not being reflected back to the fire could slow the fire some in theory..I just have never noticed it.

There are more then a few on here who say they burn more wood with the blowers on.

Maybe they will contribute.

HotCoals said:
There are more then a few on here who say they burn more wood with the blowers on.

I think mine does burn more with fan on higher speeds. I normally just keep it on low though so effect may be negligible. I had a decent burn last night with a good bed of coals this morning after 10 hours. I know this isn't anything special with a BK but felt good on my Lopi.

Treacherous said:
HotCoals said:

I think mine does burn more with fan on higher speeds. I normally just keep it on low though so effect may be negligible. I had a decent burn last night with a good bed of coals this morning after 10 hours. I know this isn't anything special with a BK but felt good on my Lopi.
Ok..but you just said that your fan tames the fire.

I almost bought a Lopi Liberty..very nice stoves!

HotCoals said:
Treacherous said:
HotCoals said:

I know... it seems weird.... but high speed seems to cool it enough to even stop the secondaries.

Treacherous said:
HotCoals said:
Treacherous said:
HotCoals said:

I know... it seems weird.... but high speed seems to cool it enough to even stop the secondaries.

Well..I don't know where your secondary's(inlets) get their air from..is there a chance with your blowers on high that they can be stealing some air that would have went to your afterburners?

In short..are your secondary inlets anywhere near the inlets to your blowers?

HotCoals said:
Well..I don't know where your secondary's(inlets) get their air from..is there a chance with your blowers on high that they can be stealing some air that would have went to your afterburners?

In short..are your secondary inlets anywhere near the inlets to your blowers?

You might be on to something there. The main inlet for secondary air on my stove seems to come from a main opening on bottom of stove that is also used for OAK. The front air intakes are where most of the air circulates but it seems parts down here aren't necessarily welded airtight so there could be some bleed over. Some of those who have taken their Lopi Endeavor air intake apart may be able to confirm whether secondary air and forced air could mix or draw upon the secondary air when turned on.

Page 21 of this PDF shows how air system works in my stove. OAK cutout is in front of "4" which is the fans.

I don't see the link boss!

You sure it's pg. 21..I'll look some more.

2nd link worked.
I see the pic..and it does look like your secondary air is being drawn from where you blower is getting its air..if I'm looking at it right.

Ok..I'm looking at it...I think your intake for the blowers could effect your secondary intake..I could be wrong..just ask my wife..lol.

untitled-1.jpg

I've been there more than a few times with my lopi liberty. The stove seems to like to run between 650 and 750 so 750 doesn't really bother me, but that thing is putting out some serious heat. Anything above 750 I turn the blower on to cool it down. It got to 900 degrees plus the other night for a very short period of time but I didn't panic I just shut the air down all the way and turned the blower on high. One thing to remember with these new EPA non-cat stoves is they don't respond right away when you shut the air all the way down when you have a runaway fire. It takes some time for them to settle down. The time to panic is when the air is shut down, and the blower on high and the temperature continues to climb.

lopiliberty said:
I've been there more than a few times with my lopi liberty. The stove seems to like to run between 650 and 750 so 750 doesn't really bother me, but that thing is putting out some serious heat. Anything above 750 I turn the blower on to cool it down. It got to 900 degrees plus the other night for a very short period of time but I didn't panic I just shut the air down all the way and turned the blower on high. One thing to remember with these new EPA non-cat stoves is they don't respond right away when you shut the air all the way down when you have a runaway fire. It takes some time for them to settle down. The time to panic is when the air is shut down, and the blower on high and the temperature continues to climb.
That's because you really have no control over the secondary air..imo that is.
I found that out reading here when I went to buy a stove to replace my old BKK non cat.
Still..I almost bought the stove you have and still think it would have been fine.
I just like the longer burns of the large cat stoves.

Thats the only disadvantage of a non-cat stove is no control over the secondary air. If I was able to control the secondary air maybe it wouldn't be 90 degrees in here all the time. Its currently 85. If I would have had 8in stove pipe already installed and had a dealer close I believe I would have ended up with a blaze king. Its not the prettiest stove but who cares what it look likes as long as it heats the house. Personally I really like the looks of the blaze king. How it would be nice to only load every 24 hours during the shoulder season but after using the liberty for one and a half winters I wouldn't get rid of it for a million dollars.

lopiliberty said:
Thats the only disadvantage of a non-cat stove is no control over the secondary air. If I was able to control the secondary air maybe it wouldn't be 90 degrees in here all the time. Its currently 85. If I would have had 8in stove pipe already installed and had a dealer close I believe I would have ended up with a blaze king. Its not the prettiest stove but who cares what it look likes as long as it heats the house. Personally I really like the looks of the blaze king. How it would be nice to only load every 24 hours during the shoulder season but after using the liberty for one and a half winters I wouldn't get rid of it for a million dollars.
If I had bought that stove I bet I would find a way to put some kind of control on it..just sayin'. Cheers!

As I stated earlier, I throw in a cold, wet... meaning unseasoned small split. My stoves are non-cat. What would a green split do to a cat stove in runaway mode?

woodmiser said:
As I stated earlier, I throw in a cold, wet... meaning unseasoned small split. My stoves are non-cat. What would a green split do to a cat stove in runaway mode?

Cat stoves have less tendency to runaway since they don't have unregulated secondary air. I've said it in other posts, I don't think you'll ever hear a BK owner talk about a runaway stove unless they stop paying attention to it. A BK stove actually turns down when you want it to.

With the non cat Endeavor I was running up to this year I would toss a couple full pots of cold water on the stove top, close the air and turn the blower on high. I only had to add the water pots a time or two, most the time turning the fan on high would scrub enough heat off the top.(IR temp gun) I never had it go over 800(Lopi's printed overfire temp) but it was close many times. That stove would love to take off like a rocket ship at times. This is one reason I'm digging the cat stove, none of this runaway crap to worry about.

EatenByLimestone said:
close primary as much as possible. Place additional tubs of water on the top to suck up heat and increase the amount of air blowing over it by setting floor fans in front of it.

Matt

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.