When to buy a stove and which one to buy? (House floorplan attached)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote author="k3c4forlife" date="1262151343
Which PE would you suggest - pacific or super?

How about Quadrafire or Appalachian?[/quote]

The Super. Based on your measurements and the PE web site, the Pacific is 5/8 of an inch too wide for your fireplace (30 5/8). The Super requires a 24 inch wide fireplace opening. I've been very happy with my Vista, other than wishing it were larger (I was limited by the size of my small fireplace). Right now it's cruising along happlily at 500 degrees while the wind is howling outside and temps are in the single digits.

I'm afraid I don't know much about Quadrafire, although there seem to be some Quadrafire fans on the site. I haven't heard much about Appalachian stoves.

One thought. Could you run a pipe through the roof for the Waterford and keep it as supplemental heat in the den? It would mean running two stoves, but would provide some heat in the den. It looks like heat from an insert in the living room, won't reach the den easily.

I would love to use the Waterford as supplemental heat when its really cold out and the insert needs a little help.

I have two options, keep the stove and rerun another flue. Gonna cost me quite a bit. Or sell the stove, save the extra money from the additional flue, and get the most efficient stove that I can fit in the family room.

How much can I save if I buy an insert in March-April then things are really slow?

How about Tharrington Stoves? anyone use them?

k3c4forlife said:
Wheres the best place to order the 6" chimney liner kit?
Contact "TheHeatElement" here on the board. By far the cheapest/fastest for top quality liner kits!

SolarAndWood said:
If your primary goal is a particular look, let your wife choose and don't worry about firebox size. Incidentally, I have done both and the committee process resulted in warped stoves. The third time a stove miraculously showed up one day.
LOL, funny how that happens! Stuff just shows up at my house as well... :cheese:

k3c4forlife said:
I would love to use the Waterford as supplemental heat when its really cold out and the insert needs a little help.

I have two options, keep the stove and rerun another flue. Gonna cost me quite a bit. Or sell the stove, save the extra money from the additional flue, and get the most efficient stove that I can fit in the family room.

How much can I save if I buy an insert in March-April then things are really slow?

No clue, but any savings will probably be limited to whatever the dealer has in stock. Any special orders will probably be at list price.

Here's another thought. If cost is most important, how about a hearthmount installation of a regular wood stove, which usually sells for less than a comparable size insert. For example, it looks like you could install an Englander 30-NC part way into the fireplace (it's 27 inches tall with the legs, 27 and 3/4 with the pedestal, and top vents). A couple of members here have done that--search for pictures in the "Perfect Picture" forum. You can probably pick one up at Lowes (where it's called a Summer's Heat) or HD for less than $1,000 this time of year (someone got one recently for $799 as I recall) and dress it up with a gold door and add the optional blower. That would give you a 3.5 cubic foot firebox which would take care of ANY heating needs you have. If that's too much, you could go down to the Englander NC-13 or another similar size stove (you probably want at least a 2.0 foot firebox, though, the NC-13 is 1.8--Englander doesn't make anything between 1.8 and 3.5 cu ft.).

Another thought on the den--install a power or passive vent through the wall from the living room to the den. You could move some heat from the stove into the den that way.

k3c4forlife said:

Would that be the eBay offer from Justins? BB may be able to give you some info on the stove. Not sold locally here. IIRC, Justins is a decent store to work with.

PS: You'll start seeing good pricing starting the end of January. Often stove stores are pretty quiet during the month of Feb., especially if spring comes early. I'd also look at Drolet, Buck and the Englander insert. If you have a Lowes discount coupon and time it right with their winter inventory clearance, there can be some decent deals on inserts. Historically this starts in Feb.

You start looking in late February. See what the dealer has on the floor and/or in inventory that he may be trying to unload. Sometimes they drop lines or they have a returned stove that was used for 1 week or a stove with chipped paint - stuff like that. You can deal real good on those, as much as 50% off and you are basically getting a brand new stove. You can also negotiate with them. As the big $ installs taper off in Feb/Mar and they see their cashflow start to dwindle, you have more leverage with cash in hand.

Gotta look into all my choices, so many stoves to choose from

Haha... It was pretty cold out last night... I dont want to wait. Stove room was like 70, rest of the house was like 50. Definitely need to do something about it, just need to make it through the winter living in the den lol

Do you have a flue in place already? If so then go on CL and get something to use over the winter. Then you can shop for a nice stove in the spring. I just bought a new stove in early December and I went to a few dealers and found one who gave me 10% off if I paid with a check and helped me put together an install kit on the cheap. There are good dealers out there.

cycloxer said:
Do you have a flue in place already? If so then go on CL and get something to use over the winter. Then you can shop for a nice stove in the spring. I just bought a new stove in early December and I went to a few dealers and found one who gave me 10% off if I paid with a check and helped me put together an install kit on the cheap. There are good dealers out there.

Unfortunately he's only got one flue. His Waterford stove is tapped into the back of the fireplace chimney in the next room. He doesn't use the fireplace, but wants to put an insert in the fireplace and remove the Waterford. (See, I've been paying attention :cheese: )

Hah,

I would love to get a new stove now, I need to responsibly wait until the spring to buy it though. I think my best option is get the best stove I can for my sq footage and burn time requirements and to sell the Waterford. Can't afford to run the external double or triple wall in the den and get an insert and line the chimney for the insert.

Really good insert and liner, sell the Waterford and never buy the external flue... Ive pretty much made that choice, unless someone has 15' of triple wall they want to give me... The real question is what stove. Been doing some research, I'll have the choices up pretty soon...

Kevin

For sure you can do it with one stove. Just buy a good one and a big one. I'd run w/ what you have for now and use the winter to do your research. Plus, you can scan CL and see if any good used ones pop up. If you are patient, you can find good, used stoves - particularly in the off-season.

BeGreen said:
k3c4forlife said:

Would that be the eBay offer from Justins? BB may be able to give you some info on the stove. Not sold locally here. IIRC, Justins is a decent store to work with.

I check ebay and craigslist everyday... just during lunch at work when I have nothing else to do. Never heard of Tharrington stoves...

Sitting in the Den right now, temp is 65 in here, perfect for me. The Waterford really is a good little stove for the den, even when the temp is in the single digits outside. I'm just looking to get something that can handle the whole house and looking to do it as cheap and safe as possible (and like I said before, eye appealing for the wife ((and me))...)

Status
Not open for further replies.