When to clean out ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake

Dec 11, 2005
nw burbs of Chi
What do you guys do?

Wait till ashes get cold (ie not burning) and scoop em out?

scoop while hot?

Jake,
Once a week (on Sunday) I let the stove burn way down with only some coals burning.Then I push the coals to one side and into a steel container I shovel out 2/3 of the ash . These ashes I let sit outside for a week before getting rid of them.

I do the same thing mtarbert does as far as cleaning out the stove. Personally, I take my ashes/coals right out to the garden. Nothing but dirt out there now, and I dump the coals/ashes right on the ground. Usually this time of year has snow (but not this year) on the ground so no real concern. I don't like the stuff sitting in a bucket for a few days. It all burns out on the ground or is put out by the moisture. Nothing combustable around that garden for at least 75 feet. If it's windy, then I use water on it.

Not trying to insult anyone, but, need to be very carefull with that bucket of ashes. Keep it covered, keep it off of and away from any combustable surface, keep it outside, set it on a stack of bricks, etc. The coals can stay hot for long time. (more than a week in some cases). I think I read here the most common one is people put the bucket out on the deck, then the deck catches fire a day or two later. I like getting rid of it asap. KD

I have Jotul 600 Firelight with a small ash pan that I burn 24/7. It needs to be dumped once a day. My morning ritual is to rake the coals/ash over the grate that is over the ashpan and continue doing so until most of the ash is in the pan. I then take the ashpan out to our attached garage and dump the ashes into a 10 gallon metal pail with lid. I make sure there are no combustibles near the metal pail and when the handle is in the up position it locks the lid onto the pail which I really like. Once a week I take the 10 gallon pail and dump them into a hole that I dig each fall for the ashes. I live out in the country so I'm not digging these holes in my backyard, of course if my wife let me I probably would.

We also burn 24/7 in our VC Dutchwest, and have to empty ashes about every other day. Last year we had several face cords of ash which was really cool to burn because we did not have to empty ashes but maybe once every 2 weeks. So, another factor in how often you empty ashes is what type of wood you're burning. :)

gwm

Dylan,

I haven't the foggiest idea. But, I did wonder if that was where the name for Ash trees came from. I wonder if anyone else has ever noticed the reduced ash from ash trees?

gwm

Older stove were designed to be burnt withan inch or two of ash left on the bottom. The ash acted as insulation preventing the bottom grates from over
heating and warping. Having an inch of ash is not a bad thing. As for cleaning I dispose of ash when my ash pan fills up. With no snow on the ground I have to be carefull about dumping it in my garden
Others here described the caution one should be aware of, in ash disposal

Dylan, yes, its an insert, and no, I don't think that inserts generally have ash pans. Mine, and I think most, are lined with firebrick, and have a firebrick floor in the stove. A photo of the exterior is linked in my sig below.

Jake, I use the rake to sort through the ash and push aside and leftover coals, then use the shovel to scoop out the ash. I generally do this once per week, and let the stove cool down so I can clean the glass of whatever soot or ash might be on it, look inside the stove to check for any issues, etc. The ash goes into one of those Pilgrim ash holders, which is elevated off the hearth by about 3 inches, on 4 feet. I either keep it on the hearth to cool, set it outside for a while, or just dump it in the woods behind my house.

-- Mike

I try to keep atleast 1 inch of ash at all times, which means every couple of days I remove some ash. I always do this in the morning, the stove is still hot, but all the coals are in the back. Remove the fine ash from the front of the firebox via the ash hole in the floor, then pull the coals from back to front covering said ash hole. ;-) I do not like to leave ash in the ash pan so I take it to the garage and dump into a SS pail right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.