Not open for further replies.
  1. sparksalot

sparksalot
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2006
    Loc:
    Montana
    i bought a jotul castine wood stove 3yrs ago and have read that they have to be rebuilt every few years or so....what is a few years and how can i tell when to rebuild? wondering if i should have not gone cast iron..

2. elkimmeg

elkimmeg
    Guest 2.
    NULL

gasketing 4-6- years use CAST IRON NOT WElDED STEEL 10- 12 Years depending upon usage for rebuilding

3. seaken

seaken
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 21, 2005
    Loc:
    Shokan, NY
    A smoke test or a light test will help determine is the seals are bad. I have had cast iron stoves last well over 12 years without the need for a reuild. ANd I've had some need it after two years. There is no way to know from here. You'll need to so a test on the seals. If in doubt, rebuild it and repack all the seal joints with fresh new furnace cement.

Sean

4. adrpga498

adrpga498
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    New Jersey
    Sparky,
    I have the same stove and its been buring the same as the day I bought it in 2001. I'll keep a closer eye on it as I go through this season. Although I hope it continues as is for another few years. Door gaskets are still very tight.

5. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    In general, when you find the fire harder to control and damp down, then it's time to check the gaskets. I haven't experienced premature problems with the cast iron stoves I owned. The 602 finally got rebuilt after 15 years of service. Sounds like the writer might have been refering to the bad run of VC stoves in the 80's & 90's. Sometimes one can't believe everything one reads.

Jotul makes good stoves. If your stove is buring correctly and controls the way it did new, then I wouldn't worry much about this for a few more years. And then, it might just need new door and ash pan gaskets and a good cleaning.

6. heydan

heydan
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jun 16, 2006
    Loc:
    Milllis, MA
    This is one reason I chose a steel stove -- no rebuilding necessary. The parts are welded and bent, not held together with furnace cement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.