When to use furnace cement?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

milesmoony

Dec 8, 2019
Olympic Peninsula
Hi everyone, first post on here. Excited to be in the process of installing my first wood stove. The stove I have is a Glo-Fire 301, essentially a replica of a Jotul 602. My question is this - I can’t seem to find a straight answer. When do you use furnace cement? I’m using all Selkirk chimney systems components for my smoke pipe and chimney, so I’m assuming I don’t need it for that. But the stove itself - seems like the whole thing is made of individual cast iron pieces bolted together -should I take it apart and apply cement in all the joints? Also what about where the flue collar bolts to the top of the stove or the back opening cover? Really appreciate any feedback

Given the age of the stove it's probably a good idea to consider disassembly and redoing the seams with fresh stove cement. This is not an onerous process. The stove construction is simple. How is the stove otherwise? No cracks? Are the burn plates and baffle in good shape?

Reactions: milesmoony
Given the age of the stove it's probably a good idea to consider disassembly and redoing the seams with fresh stove cement. This is not an onerous process. The stove construction is simple. How is the stove otherwise? No cracks? Are the burn plates and baffle in good shape?

Thanks, that’s what I was thinking. I bought it from a gentleman who took it apart, sand blasted it and put on a fresh coat of stove paint, no cement though. The stove was missing the flue collar so I ordered a Vermont Castings Aspen flue collar which I thought was a pretty good solution. I modified the stove a bit to accept new flue collar (tabs were a different shape) using a trim router with a carbide burr bit and a grinding stone bit to smooth it out. Turned out pretty good.

Attachments

• 2DC2AA61-E7A0-4B2C-87A6-C07E3DBE7936.jpeg
    2DC2AA61-E7A0-4B2C-87A6-C07E3DBE7936.jpeg
    158.3 KB · Views: 153
  • 2BA64114-77FE-4345-A3D7-FBEC01340F2F.jpeg
    2BA64114-77FE-4345-A3D7-FBEC01340F2F.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 176
As for the burn plates, I bought a couple of black steel side burn plates and a top burn plate from a British seller on eBay who makes them for the Jotul 602. They fit well in the stove. I recently realized however that I am missing the bottom burn plate. I was thinking of either ordering one or using some fire brick in the bottom of the stove.

You want Stove and Gasket Cement that comes in a tube such as made by Rutland among others sold in hardware stores. Furnace Cement is more of a high temperature cement used for masonry or lining burn pots and fireboxes.
Firebrick is easy and cheap, always burn on an inch of ash when cleaning it out as well. It will pack between bricks, so you don't need a perfect bottom.