1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

When Trees Were Huge....

Post in 'The Green Room' started by olsonbri, Sep 12, 2011.

1. olsonbri

olsonbri New Member

Loc:
    Stillwater, OK

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jatoxico

jatoxico Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island NY
    Cool pics but I always feel worse after seeing images like that. 100's of years in the making, hours in the taking. Different mindset back then, maybe not so different.
  3. olsonbri

olsonbri New Member

Loc:
    Stillwater, OK
    I'm with you, I'm just curious what they were doing with the wood. One log of that would heat my house for years!
  4. fishingpol

fishingpol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    Great pictures. That was real work back then. I love the douglas fir camper pic towards the bottom.
  5. jimbom

jimbom Combustion Analyzer

Loc:
    Missouri Ozarks
    How many were killed and injured stacking and hauling logs as shown. Must have been hundreds.
  6. charly

charly Guest

I watched a program about the old days logging, I remember it saying , some of the loggers lived their whole life , deep in the woods in the logging camps, never came out. Amazing. They use to haul huge loads of wood down the steep mountain logging trails with horses and a brake cable attched to the wagon to hold the wagons back. At times the cable would fail, and they would loose the horses and the load of logs. Pretty wild things happened back then.
  7. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    I think I saw Dennis in one of those pictures.
  8. dougstove

dougstove Member

Loc:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    My grandfather used to live in the woods camps in New Brunswick for the winter. He often reminisced about his favourite cooks. Years later I read that saw-loggers used to burn 8000-12000 kcal/day, all winter. So having a good cook was essential to be physically able to eat enough to keep going.
  9. charly

charly Guest

I can relate to burning calories, looking back on my tree climbing days. After climbing all day, I can remember having to eat 2 meals at night about 2 hours apart. You just burned up the first meal and your body said one more please, 2 hours later. And never gained any weight. Yup, those guys were the calorie burning kings, for sure!
  10. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    I have a friend who is a tree climber. He is in his mid 40s and has about 0% body fat!