When Trees Were Huge....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool pics but I always feel worse after seeing images like that. 100's of years in the making, hours in the taking. Different mindset back then, maybe not so different.

I'm with you, I'm just curious what they were doing with the wood. One log of that would heat my house for years!

Great pictures. That was real work back then. I love the douglas fir camper pic towards the bottom.

How many were killed and injured stacking and hauling logs as shown. Must have been hundreds.

I watched a program about the old days logging, I remember it saying , some of the loggers lived their whole life , deep in the woods in the logging camps, never came out. Amazing. They use to haul huge loads of wood down the steep mountain logging trails with horses and a brake cable attched to the wagon to hold the wagons back. At times the cable would fail, and they would loose the horses and the load of logs. Pretty wild things happened back then.

I think I saw Dennis in one of those pictures.

My grandfather used to live in the woods camps in New Brunswick for the winter. He often reminisced about his favourite cooks. Years later I read that saw-loggers used to burn 8000-12000 kcal/day, all winter. So having a good cook was essential to be physically able to eat enough to keep going.

dougstove said:
My grandfather used to live in the woods camps in New Brunswick for the winter. He often reminisced about his favourite cooks. Years later I read that saw-loggers used to burn 8000-12000 kcal/day, all winter. So having a good cook was essential to be physically able to eat enough to keep going.
I can relate to burning calories, looking back on my tree climbing days. After climbing all day, I can remember having to eat 2 meals at night about 2 hours apart. You just burned up the first meal and your body said one more please, 2 hours later. And never gained any weight. Yup, those guys were the calorie burning kings, for sure!

I have a friend who is a tree climber. He is in his mid 40s and has about 0% body fat!

Status
Not open for further replies.