Where best to place an external fan.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RancherPacker

Jul 28, 2015
Washington State
Where would be the most efficient place to put an external box fan? In front of the pellet stove or behind it? I would think a wood stove would be best from behind but since a pellet stove really only puts out heat from the front I wasn't sure if behind is best place for an external fan on the floor? Thanks for any help.

On top of the stove, facing forward... Where I put mine (box fan) when I need additional circulation. I put a length of 1" x 1" wood under the back end to tilt it downward as well. Don't use it much unless it's real cold out or I'm napping in the recliner in front of the stove. Top of mine just gets warm, not hot as the heat exchanger is separate from the top entirely. If your top gets hot, on the floor beside the stove facing forward. You don't want it behind as that will accelerate dust buildup on the drive motors.

When it’s colder, I have a “20 box fan, with a furnace filter, taped to it, that I blow towards the side and back of the stove. I also have a ceiling fan above.

Reactions: SidecarFlip
When it’s colder, I have a “20 box fan, with a furnace filter, taped to it, that I blow towards the side and back of the stove. I also have a ceiling fan above.
Not a bad idea, taped furnace filter, I may try that.

Reactions: Washed-Up
On top of the stove is a good idea. For us the stove is in the living room pointed toward the kitchen. However the kitchen and that part of the house never seemed to get warm so this is what worked for us. Cutting a hole in the wall near the ceiling and adding a filter for it. During Harvest season we are changing it weekly. The kitchen is much much warmer after we did that. Was a good way to move the warmer air.

Attachments

• IMG_20201107_185344545.jpg
    IMG_20201107_185344545.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_20201107_185336949.jpg
    IMG_20201107_185336949.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 103