Where can I find a Picaroon?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 20, 2008
alaska
I have been trying to find a picaroon. A picaroon is just like a hookaroon but the tip has a round end on the tip instead of a sharp point as on a hookaroon. It works well in soft woods and won't pull out at as easy as a sharp point. I have found many hookaroons but has anyone seen a picaroon?

Google searches work better if you spell pickaroon right.

http://www.pickaroon.com/products.htm
size-chart.gif

You might try ebay, I got mine off there and its the best $20 I have spent other than my Dolmars.

Shipper

Shipper50 said:
You might try ebay, I got mine off there and its the best $20 I have spent other than my Dolmars.

Shipper

Where the hell'd you get a Dolmar for $20?

fossil said:
Shipper50 said:

Shipper

Where the hell'd you get a Dolmar for $20?
Ha Ha :bug:

Shipper

Thanks for the website, I am finding picaroons galore - what a difference a K makes! And by the way picaroon is how it's spelled in Nordern Minn where I grew up.

Antique is another word for old.

What's a pickaroon for anyhow ive never seen or heard of one?

It's for pulling logs or anything you want such as railroad ties or beams or any wood. Much easier and quicker then bending over and grabbing by hand. the know on the end is important in that it keeps the hook in place and won't come out when you jerk on it.

That more resembles a pike pole sans the tip than a pickaroon. I used to work with both a pickaroon and pike pole handling pulp logs but the company eventually outlawed the pickaroon because people were jabbing themselves with it. We had a local blacksmith make the pickaroon heads out of flat stock. IMHO the pike pole was more dangerous because it was hard to set into the log and would slip out at the most opportune time.

I guess i never have seen or used one we always used a log roller or forks on a tractor front loader

Status
Not open for further replies.