Where do I cut?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kroman532

Feb 4, 2024
Ohio
Ok I want to cut access to look at back of chase and fireplace. Where should I cut and how big does access need to be to inspect and clean anything off top of fireplace. Also need to remove silver lining from around firestop. When finished how do I insure lining is back in place? (Reference thread “can I paint”) this is new territory for me so need guidance. Wife freaking out about cutting hole in house!

IMG_4025.jpeg

Ok I want to cut access to look at back of chase and fireplace. Where should I cut and how big does access need to be to inspect and clean anything off top of fireplace. Also need to remove silver lining from around firestop. When finished how do I insure lining is back in place? (Reference thread “can I paint”) this is new territory for me so need guidance. Wife freaking out about cutting hole in house!

View attachment 324529
Anywhere really in that area. Remove a strip of the siding then cut an inspection hole in the sheathing. Really not a big deal at all with vinyl siding

Not a big deal but before I cut how do I reseal hole Iam cutting to be watertight? Also is it important to keep that shiny foil insulation in place since iam going to have to cut through it and unwrap it from around the exiting firestop?

Not a big deal but before I cut how do I reseal hole Iam cutting to be watertight? Also is it important to keep that shiny foil insulation in place since iam going to have to cut through it and unwrap it from around the exiting firestop?
You don't cut through the siding. Just remove a section. Then a small hole to inspect. If there is insulation on the fireplace then you will cut a much larger hole

Yep I know not to cut through siding. I was speaking about the actual wood sheathing and the inside wall of chase insulation. Thanks for the help I will give it the old college try. I have removed siding before.

Remove a few courses of siding above the termination. Use a circular saw with the blade depth set to the thickness of the sheathing and cut out the area between the two studs in the middle of the chase. cut the piece neatly and save it to replace when done.
Remove the insulation as neatly as possible and inspect the fireplace and fix any issues.
You can attach plastic or metal banding across the inside of the studs to keep the insulation in place once it is replaced.
Replace the sheathing and use zip tape (rubber flashing) over the area where the sheathing was cut. Replace siding and then safely enjoy the use of your fireplace.

Reactions: DonTee
Now that is extremely helpful and now I know exactly what to do! Thank you so much! Just for clarity so no part of that pleated silver lining should be in contact with exhaust pipe or any part of firestop?

Last edited:
Now that is extremely helpful and now I know exactly what to do! Thank you so much! Just for clarity so no part of that pleated silver lining should be in contact with exhaust pipe or any part of firestop?
Correct. If the firestop is done correctly, there will be blocking on all four side that would establish the proper clearance to the vent pipe.
The small gap between the vent pipe and the firestop(usually less than 1/8") can be sealed with high temp sealant.

Ok I opened it up and found a few pieces of blown insulation a top of fire box dusty! Bigger thing sliver lining is sealed all aroun firestop with red stuff not gonna come off. Please advise soon. Gonna rain need to seal back up

IMG_4037.jpeg IMG_4038.jpeg IMG_4036.jpeg

It looks as if the foil faced paper is cut out for the clearance to the pipe. Looks like they sealed the pipe where it passes through the firestop also.

Without measuring everything myself to verify, it does appear that you have the proper clearances.

It looks as if the foil faced paper is cut out for the clearance to the pipe. Looks like they sealed the pipe where it passes through the firestop also.

Without measuring everything myself to verify, it does appear that you have the proper clearances.
How do I repair that foil to close it up is it important ? Doesn’t it protect insulation? Help gonna rain soon

The foils primary purpose is to keep the insulation in place. It is also a vapor barrier but you should not have any problems with that small of an area if a small piece is left out.(the foil faced paper, not the insulation. The insulation needs to be put back)

Ok I put some foil tape I had on back side so insulation would not fall through. Hope that was ok. I am a complete novice at this. Can believe I cut a hole in my house!

Reactions: Lennox65
Follow up question. Since my chase is lined with the paper back foil I was wondering is this common and or could it be what is giving off a chemical smell when fireplace is used? Haven’t been able to check fireplace since inspecting I am waiting for delivery of a new log which was broken! Just trying to cover all bases

Follow up question. Since my chase is lined with the paper back foil I was wondering is this common and or could it be what is giving off a chemical smell when fireplace is used? Haven’t been able to check fireplace since inspecting I am waiting for delivery of a new log which was broken! Just trying to cover all bases
The foil is an acceptable material and is almost certainly not the source of the odor. The material that was in contact with the fireplace may have been the source, but it is more likely just the dust in the top louvered section. In your original thread, someone explained that dust and pet hair get pulled through the convection cycle and in my experience, this is what causes most odors.

Another thing that causes odor is off gassing of the finishing materials and mantle. The heat of the fireplace can cause wood, paint, and adhesives to release VOC's when heated.

You mentioned Off Gassing it’s very good chance that may be it. Seems like strong smell coming from mantel and tile area after about 10 minutes! Maybe whatever they painted mantle with. Thanks for info about foil lining. Your help has been great! Thanks for taking the time.

Reactions: Lennox65
Ok testing out fireplace without logs(still waiting on new set) it’s been burning for about 2 hours now and still getting a slight smell but nothing like before. Really hard to tell where smell may be off gassing maybe mantel but I never did anything to mantel and smell is better. I have attached some pic with temps do there look normal? At glass, at upper lovers , tile and mantel.

IMG_4085.jpeg IMG_4086.jpeg IMG_4087.jpeg IMG_4088.jpeg IMG_4089.jpeg IMG_4090.jpeg IMG_4091.jpeg

Ok testing out fireplace without logs(still waiting on new set) it’s been burning for about 2 hours now and still getting a slight smell but nothing like before. Really hard to tell where smell may be off gassing maybe mantel but I never did anything to mantel and smell is better. I have attached some pic with temps do there look normal? At glass, at upper lovers , tile and mantel.

View attachment 324650 View attachment 324651 View attachment 324652 View attachment 324653 View attachment 324654 View attachment 324655 View attachment 324656
Those numbers look perfectly normal. The wall area directly above the fireplace can be as much as 100 degrees warmer than ambient room temperature (170-180) and that is acceptable. Find the install manual for that fireplace and all of that information will be in it.