Where do you cut?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ChadMc

Burning Hunk
Dec 12, 2019
Bucks County PA
Haven’t posted in a while! I’m on a firewood high lately! Haha. Early in the fall I got permission to cut wood in a big state park that litterly backs up to our backyard. Needless to say it’s an endless amount of wood and access all over the park I can take the truck. Rant over…Happy burning!

Ralph Stover? Spent most of my life in Bucks.

I get wood from some local areas... Mostly 2 spots, The farmers have 4 plots of land 1 right behind me, 1 behind me and across the street, and in front of me and across the street are 2 more plots. My friend has 26 acres all wooded that I use. Occasionally I use my brother's but mostly its to help him and I get a share of what we take down. All free is good for me . I also get free wood deliver to my house or my shop from my friend who owns a tree service.. I haven't paid for wood at all.. been heating for free..

You are real lucky, my state does not allow any wood removal from state lands unless its managed by the state. The local national forest allows dead wood cuts but its got to be dead and down. They do organize logging cuts and the public can grab what is left at the landing but usually it is for a limited window before they pull out the culverts and bridges and then lock the gate making access far more difficult. The other issue is to reduce ground impact during logging operations, they cover the ground under their woods roads with tops and low grade wood, when the cut is done they haul it out but its loaded with dirt and gravel so it means heavy wear on chains.

I will stick to thinning trees on my woodlot.

Ralph Stover? Spent most of my life in Bucks.
No, Woody; I spent several years in one of the Bucks, a 91, and the rest bucking wood. In the woods..which isn't in Bucks. I did spend most of the bucks in my life, however. 😏

Got a neighbor who had his 12 acres woods logged out to where they left tops blocking driveways in the woods so he asked me if I'd clear out the driveways and I could have whatever I wanted for firewood. Lots and lots of ash, red oak , and hard maple!! Got a friend who has a tree cutting business and he'll call me to come get good wood from trees he cuts down.

Reactions: Gearhead660
I lived in Bucks County, in Yardley growing up. Now I’m down in Maryland. I get free wood on Facebook marketplace. Or I’ll stop and ask if I see it down. It’s all about how far I need to drive with a truckload of chunks.

I use to cut at my yard at work, then that space was reallocated for something else, I've since done the bulk of my cutting at my house in a smaller wood lot I made, I actually prefer the home lot more then anything else since all my stuff is here and its no rush to get things done. I foresee more home cutting for the next few years as we have tons of dead or dying ash, I'm the only burner here so I have more wood then I know what to do with, I actually thought about doing an extra 10 cords and selling, using the money for maintenance of my equipment, still thinking about a new splitter, I just dont want to pay the $$$ for what I really want.
The other advantage to the home cutting is relaxing by the fire pit occasionally, burning the scraps from cutting and splitting, neighbors like coming over and having a few cold ones to.

Got a friend with 10 acres that were neglected, so lots of wood to clean up. On the list for the city. People know me as someone who will "get rid of trees". Between all those, get more than enough wood. Always on the lookout for any other free wood...

Have about 5 acres of neglected woods here. Lots of standing dead stuff ofr now and live cherry, oak, maple, hicory and beech. There is also a veneer plant in town that produces excellent debarked white oak slabs and blocking. But I have to have that delivered so it's not free.

I get plenty from windfalls on the edges of my neighbors hayfields. Funny thing about those woods edges, they grow out over the hayfields because that's where the sun and room is to grow. But eventually gravity will be my friend from the weight of the extensive lateral growth over the fields.

I've had three main sources over the last 12 years:

1. A friend with 30 acres of woods, mostly big mature stuff.
2. A picnic grove at my church, wiped out by tornado May 2019
3. Neighbors, with dying ash and walnuts.

IMG_9652.JPGIMG_9768.JPGIMG_0149.JPGIMG_1679.JPGIMG_3895.JPGIMG_4849.JPGIMG_4850.JPG20130309_wood.JPGIMG_3054.jpg

IMG_1684.JPG IMG_3895.JPG IMG_4849.JPG IMG_4850.JPG

Got a friend with 10 acres that were neglected, so lots of wood to clean up. On the list for the city. People know me as someone who will "get rid of trees". Between all those, get more than enough wood. Always on the lookout for any other free wood...

Have about 5 acres of neglected woods here.
You'll also find a lot of small, dead trees, standing or down out there. Sure, it takes a little longer to get a big pile but that stuff is dry enough to burn immediately in many cases.
A friend just got a stove a few months back, and since he hasn't had time to establish his stacks yet, I've been feeding his stove a steady diet of the small stuff.

Last edited:
You'll also find a lot of small, dead trees, standing or down out there. Sure, it takes a little longer to get a big pile but that stuff is dry enough to burn immediately in many cases.
A friend just got a stove a few months back, and since he hasn't had time to establish his stacks yet, I've been feeding his stove a steady diet of the small stuff.
I've been cutting lots of that stuff to suppliment the veneer oak. On the weekend, I dump it right next to the house for use that week.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Haven’t posted in a while! I’m on a firewood high lately! Haha. Early in the fall I got permission to cut wood in a big state park that litterly backs up to our backyard. Needless to say it’s an endless amount of wood and access all over the park I can take the truck. Rant over…Happy burning!
In the foothills of the Adirondacks, hopefully on some flat ground and not the side of the hill.::-)

There's always an opportunity to misinterpret questions like this.