Where do you dump your Ashes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Mine go in a bucket for a few weeks. When it gets full, I scatter them in the front yard. It’s pretty magical when I do it. I give two and a half a spins like a shot put athlete, and at just the right moment I tip the bucket and sling the ashes across the yard.

Last edited:
Mine go in a bucket for a few weeks. When it gets full, I scatter them in the front yard. It’s pretty magical when I do it. I give two and a half a spins like a shot put athlete, and at just the right moment I tip the bucket and sling the ashes across the yard.
So where's the video? :)

Sounds like it might be worth a new thread: Wood Burning Amazing Feats (and Epic Fails). I could probably contribute an Epic Fail or two...

Sounds like it might be worth a new thread: Wood Burning Amazing Feats (and Epic Fails). I could probably contribute an Epic Fail or two...
Actually, that’s not the worst idea I’ve heard this week.

Reactions: ctreitzell

Right along with this video.

Reactions: NHWS
We haven't installed our stove yet, but we plan to do the same thing we do with the ash from our outside fire pit. Once it's cooled, we put it in a yard waste bag and it gets picked up once a week by the trash company and taken to be composted. We use some in our garden, but using all of it would be a bit much for our yard.

Goodness, what a mess!
Leaves almost done falling
anyway, this is it now
I've been using the metal paint bucket for transporting ashes and embers for years...but had to be retired last week cuz holes now forming...the galvanized is the hot ash bin
the plastic has cold ashes...again, when I add to the plastic; I never let the added ashes touch the inside of the bin...I guess I'll start spreading them on my property cuz it's acidic clay and granite

Wood store is not dry enough; proximity to house is great...drying ability not any good
When I built it 2019 I didn't realize the sides need to be completely open and I used plastic....I've just perforated the the interior cladding...but that isn't enough either...it's just too wet here
LTB_AshesConsWide_WoodStore_IMG_2118.JPG