Where do you get your wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The back of my Suburban has looked like that on well more than a few occasions! Most people don't really use the "U" in SUV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

most of them are just overly tall station wagons, that are pointless, terrible mileage pointlessly because if you put more than a couple shopping bags in it they would fold up and die. i had a tahoe, same basically, they get the same mileage but with a 8 that you can actually use. and you can fit three of that little things in the back. used it for pulling my 6500 lb camper, wood and coolers in the back.
always wanted a avalanche though since a co worker had a couple, same nice ride, same good mileage, side tool boxes in the fenders, can fit 8ft stuff and close the gate or ten if you fold the pass seat down. takes two seconds to load anything unlike all the guys with new trucks with crap sticking out everywhere, been looking like 10 years but people want big money for decent ones, but i found one not wanting a ton and loved, undercoated, etc, so im going to hold on to this one a while

Reactions: saewoody
I have access to log landings my logger buddies work. This is a small one I already cleaned up. I only take red & white oak plus hickory. Left the big pieces with hog fencing too.

23tf95y.jpg

153qucg.jpg

erjy4h.jpg

348lr93.jpg

2jg87y1.jpg

Mostly storm damage on my own lot, although for two years I paid $50 a cord for logs removed because they were dead standing oak and being cleared out.
Right now I have a lot of dead white oaks and pines from years of gypsy moths stress and drought. Some pine beetle kill in pines too.

Reactions: Firewood Bandit
I get mine from my own property (seems like we're good for one downed tree or more per year), scrounging a bit locally, and my father in law who regularly cuts timber on his property and gets 2 grapple loads per year. Right now I'm sitting on about 10 cords, 4 are for this year, 4 are for next year, and 2 are for the year after that. But I've got a big maple that came down out back to cut up and a large oak that I'm scrounging on Saturday morning, plus a pile of rounds in the yard. It does get to become somewhat of an obsession.

I scrounge. I could literally bury my house in a few months if I hauled every load that is offered on Craigslist. That means I can be picky. I won't bother with poplar or beech. It's got to be oak, hickory, ash, or locust or I pass.

Reactions: mountain man 2
I have access to log landings my logger buddies work. This is a small one I already cleaned up. I only take red & white oak plus hickory. Left the big pieces with hog fencing too.

View attachment 215288

View attachment 215289

View attachment 215290

View attachment 215291

View attachment 215292

That's a serious haul. I had a haul like that once when our local utility, contracted a tree company to cut down trees in preparation for a new gas line. I hauled logs by tractor bucket for a couple days. Some of the logs where so heavy, all I would do was get then lifted a foot off the ground and go. Some were so huge I just had to say FI and drag them home. Big job, but tons of wood.

i had to buy wood this year. first time in quite a while. just don't seem to have the time to process. i have trees in the back of my 3 acres in southern maryland but it takes a lot of time as i'm getting older. hope to get started again as the rest of the leaves drop. start stocking for next year....have some poplar and pine that will dry fine by then.

Reactions: Firewood Bandit
Started splitting a year ago when we moved in. I figure there is 30+ cord there. I am extremely lucky to have a tree service deliver the wood for free. He has been doing it since the cabin was built 13 years ago. Nice mixture of maple, ash, pine, and locust. We can go months without seeing a dropoff but lately there has been an abundance. I was all caught up two weeks ago and then we got back from a trip to Hawaii to find picture #2. Im going to rearrange the yard si it gets dumped in a remote corner and doesnt take up any of our usable yard.

20171112_105603_zpsaxv3kcib.jpg

20171111_112458_zpsprc71p0o.jpg

Reactions: Zack R
Love the beech.

I get most of mine from tree services working in the neighborhood. When I hear a saw I drive around and ask if I can have the wood and the answer is almost always yes. One of my neighbors has a large white oak with a nasty split that will be in my pile next spring.

I also have access to an unlimited supply of tree service wood at their lot, about a half hour away

I scrounge all of mine, CL is my normal hunting grounds, but after the noreaster we had a few weeks ago I got overloaded with wood.
I spent all day Monday clearing streets within a mile of my house.
I also posted on a couple of the local facebook pages, and I keep getting offers of more trees than I can handle.
My rounds pile is bigger than it ever was

Buy my wood and also scrounge some here and there. I buy my wood early a preseason special for 175 a cord.its all hardwoods with oak,ash, and maple. I am two years ahead so it gets rotated every year