Where does the Jotul Kennebec draw its combustion air from?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MountainStoveGuy

Minister of Fire
Jan 23, 2006
Boulder County
Any one have any idea? I cant call the factory today and i need to know asap. It looks like, from the drawing in the manual that it only pulls from the back of the insert where the outside air hook up is. I would think that it would draw from the front as well, how would it breath otherwise if the surround was tight to the wall? I cant find in the manual where it address this, any users out there know for shure?
Thanks!

The air intake is on the rear of the insert, lower left, as you face the back. The Jøtul surrounds are not sealed tight to the wall, so there is plenty of room for air to pass back there. It draws air from around the surround. If you look at the back of the cast iron surround plate, there are little 1/4 inch spacer nubs cast into the surround on the corners, to guarantee air can pass. If you need an example, pull my install photo from here, its an Iron colored Kennebec on a flat, flush, granite panel surround.

My Jotul Kennebec

-- Mike

MSG look at page 16 of the manual shows the combustion air at the rear using the optional outside air collar for entrance to primary
and secondary air. I also looked at the parts diagram there is no indication of front or suround access. You know in canada outside air feeds were required in this setup I can see why. The air has to excape around the suround or from underneath the insert

Status
Not open for further replies.