1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Where have all the manual transmissions gone?

Post in 'The Gear' started by Joful, Jun 20, 2013.

1. joecool85

joecool85 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Maine
    Sounds like it will be very similar to the Scrambler. I hope so, those were neat. They also might be coming out with a smaller version of the Wrangler, more similar in size to the old Willys from the war days.

I hadn't seen an automatic Jeep (outside of a Grand Cherokee) until around 2000. I know they existing before that, just not much around here in Maine. I also hadn't seen (or even heard of) 2wd jeeps until a few years after that. Not sure if it was just Cherokees but apparently they did make those in 2wd. Why I'm not sure since mine was horrible in snow until 4wd was engaged. Way too light for just rwd.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. clemsonfor

clemsonfor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    probably similar to the jeep truck that looked like the cherokee up front and a truck in the back, isnt that what they looked like? I do see and know what a scrambler was too.
  3. joecool85

Loc:
    Central Maine
    That was a Comanche and was totally different from the Scrambler. The Scrambler is basically a CJ (Wrangler) with a pickup bed. The Comanche was a Cherokee with a bed. The CJ/Wrangler is a body on frame and the Comanche/Cherokee are unibody construction. I'd be willing to be they will stick with the Wrangler Unlimited as the base for this new rig so it will be body on frame like the ol' CJ-8 Scrambler.
    Joful likes this.
  4. clemsonfor

clemsonfor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    I know a cherokee is a unibody and that a cj/scrambler and the newer version of the wrangler TJ and Rj or whatever they call them are both frame on. I wrote it all screwed up when i said it but did not feel like editing it. I said something like i "do know and have seen a scrambler and what they look like".

I guess they will use a jeep front, they no longer make a cherokee or grand do thye so they cant use those.
  5. NE WOOD BURNER

NE WOOD BURNER Minister of Fire

6. joecool85

Loc:
    Central Maine
    Nope, but those kits are sweet. There are a few others floating around including one from Jeep called the JK-8. What I am referencing will probably end up pretty similar to that kit, but be an OEM vehicle from Jeep rather than a kit.
  7. NE WOOD BURNER

ah yes the jk8 is a mopar product that conveniently takes hold after the brute year 2006. interestingly enough the jk8 still is covered under warranty.

vehicles just cant keep up with our intense need for instant gratification. the mahindra diesel pickup I dont think ever made it to US soil. had a three year lead time.
  8. joecool85

Loc:
    Central Maine
    Sure they could, if only they had kept making the Ford Ranger or brougtht the "New Ranger" over here I'd be happy. Hell, if they just put a stick in the F150 I'd consider it even though it's way larger than I need. Too bad about the Mahindra pickup btw, I was excited about that even though I'm normally a "buy American" kind of guy.
  9. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    Oh no, you're forgetting the full size cherokee and the full size j10, j20 and maybe even J30 trucks that Jeep and AMC made. Once upon a time, the cherokee was larger than the suburban. Pretty sure the jeep trucks were not unibody. I swapped an engine in one with a relative. It was a huge engine, maybe a 401?, but with a tiny two barrel motorcraft carburetor.
  10. joecool85

Loc:
    Central Maine
    Those cherokees were from 1974 to 1983, I was referencing the ones most people recognize now that were built from 1984 to 2001.
  11. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    Make that 3 of us. '55 Chevy 210, my friends Dad owned one (probably still does) when we where in High School. I got to drive it when I was 17 or 18. Looking back I'm suprised he let me, I got the hang of the shift pattern and double clutching it without too much trouble...

... but the 4 wheel drums almost got us all killed the first time I approached a stop sign :eek:

EDIT, now that I think about it, the 210 had a synchro trans... I think it was the old truck they had I had to double clutch.
  12. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Now... what I was really hoping to get from this thread was, "oh, here's where you can still buy a new pickup truck with a manual transmission for under $40k."
  13. NE WOOD BURNER

yep! looks like you maybe SOL for a bit.

the wranglers are up at the price of a pickup. but they resell quick.

If one is not offered I think the aftermarket will fill the void. Chevys are easy to convert and many guys are familiar with the wiring. just not as easy as buying from factory.
  14. joecool85

Loc:
    Central Maine
    Are you saying Chevys are easy to convert to a stick? If so, do you mean the half ton trucks like the Silverado?
  15. NE WOOD BURNER

The chevy LS engine has a great following. Hot rodders love them.

the wiring I am sure has already been thought of at jegs or summit. As you can buy stand alone controllers for the engine or the auto transmissions. the nuts and bolts of the conversion would be simple.

1.flywheel
    2.clutch- i would think along the lines of hydraulic for easier pedal placement.
    3.transmission
    4. cut hole in floor and build dog house.

If you can think it! You can build it! If you can build it most likely you can buy it from some where.

My main thought with a chevy was that a chevy W/T is cheapest. Chevy parts are generally cheaper than others.

I will look into a bit more and see what kind of a price it would be for the parts going all new. obviously a doner vehicle would make things cheaper but then you have used parts not new.
  16. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    For the record, last time I checked, if you order a Chevy W/T with the V6, and standard cab, and short bed, and vinyl seats... you can still get the manual trans. Trouble is, I need a crew cab for the kiddos, and a v8 for hauling.
  17. NE WOOD BURNER

https://www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog/manual_transmission/nv4500_conversion_transmission.html

Here is the costly part!

yes Jotul for you it would be cost prohibitive. Off the dealer I believe you would have to jump up to a diesel dodge 3/4 ton. which brings you out of your 30,000 range.

I bet in time there will be companies doing a conversion if people are willing to buy into it. all new parts and labor I think the cost would push me to the cummins dodge upgrade to get the manual.

Its a fun discussion and I bet we will see some conversions happening in the future when folks have a bit more $$ to throw around.
    Joful likes this.