Where is Gooserider?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mary Ann you may want to consider not heating with wood this year. I'm sure you know how much work there is heating with wood and Goose, like most men will push the window. Just an idea. Better to get fully well before you tackle wood burning.
Ed

Mary-Anne and Goose,

I really don't have anything to offer in the short term other than prayers and best wishes, and you already have those.

However, my brother-in-law works at Hanscomb, and we own a house in Lexington. We find ourselves in your neighborhood from time to time. I suspect that stir-craziness may be the bigger problem over time, and I'll be happy to offer whatever I can in the way of diversions and moral support. Goose has always impressed me as a healthy and all too rare combination of common sense, civility, and helpfulness. I'd be honored to help in any way that I can.

It goes without saying - but I am saying it anyway......that Goose is part and parcel of what makes Hearth.com a great community!

On the helping end, we have lots of folks standing ready. I am also of the mind that Mary Anne should turn the oil or gas heat on, and I can guarantee that we can get that bill paid.......you guys have other things to think about!

But, if the wood or other help is the way to go, I will offer to pay any and all expenses that any members have - for gas, tolls, etc. - for helping Goose, as well as also spring for Pizza and whatever else is needed to fuel them before, during and after such helping........

So, Hearth.com people, don't be shy.......if you end up doing something, hit me up!

I'm there in spirit, but I'm 3000 miles away...but I do know where my wife keeps her checkbook. :coolgrin: Rick

I'm down on the Island, but if another pick up and a goose neck trailer can help, I'll travel.

Got some saws, wheel barrows, etc.

It's been a few days since I've checked in here . . .

-- Does anyone have an address where we can at least send Goose a get well card?

-- Is anyone taking up a collection or anything?

I'm a fair distance away to come down for a work party, but I would like to send a card to Goose and I suspect more than a few of us wouldn't mind kicking in a bit of money to Goose and Mary Ann . . . even if folks just kicked in $5 (what's that . . . a few coffee and donuts during the work week) I imagine it would add up quick . . . anyone willing to be the Keeper of the Money . . . any Moderators . . . Craig?

firefighterjake said:

-- Does anyone have an address where we can at least send Goose a get well card?

I'm a fair distance away to come down for a work party, but I would like to send a card to Goose and I suspect more than a few of us wouldn't mind kicking in a bit of money to Goose and Mary Ann . . . even if folks just kicked in $5 (what's that . . . a few coffee and donuts during the work week) I imagine it would add up quick . . . anyone willing to be the Keeper of the Money . . . any Moderators . . . Craig?

Jake
They are working on it.
Thomas

NW Fuels said:
firefighterjake said:

Jake
They are working on it.
Thomas

Thanks for the heads up Thomas . . . and the other "mysterious member" who sent me Goose's mailing address.

Geez, I only checked out this thread because it had so many hits. Should have looked sooner.

I'm very sorry to hear about this unfortunate accident. I went through this about five years ago when my oldest boy lost the brakes on an ATV he was riding and went over a steep embankment with the thing landing on top of him. His head (helmeted, thankfully) hit a huge boulder. He had to crawl up the embankment with a broken left scapula, several broken ribs and a punctured lung, then had to lay there in the middle of the dirt road until someone came along. In spite of all the damage, he was up on his feet and back to work by the end of the summer. May you heal in a similar fashion, Goose.

At least in the Ash Can it's visible only to registered members, not the whole world. HEY! I just checked and it said Hearth.com has 20,001 registered members. Whoa! :bug: Rick

Jags said:
I have said it before and I will say it again.

This place (and its members) is AWESOME!

+1

Arthur is now off the ventilator.
He is wearing an Oxygen mask, but otherwise breathing on his own.
He can talk but not well or easily.
The damage to his ribs and back are not so severe
as to prevent him from sitting up
by raising the head of the bed.
This is progress.

Mary-Anne said:
Arthur is now off the ventilator.
He is wearing an Oxygen mask, but otherwise breathing on his own.
He can talk but not well or easily.
The damage to his ribs and back are not so severe
as to prevent him from sitting up
by raising the head of the bed.
This is progress.

Great news! will continue to keep in our thoughts and prayers!

Whew, that's the best news of the week. Thanks for the update. We're pulling for him.

Mary-Anne,

Great news! Just remember, with faith there is no mountain to tall to climb! Best wishes, Gooserider!

Shari

Thank you, Mary-Anne, for keeping us informed here about Goose's condition. That's a very thoughtful detail for you to look after in the midst of all you're dealing with, I'm sure. We appreciate it. Rick

Excellent! This is good news indeed, Randy

Prayers for a speedy and complete recovery.I'm all for kicking in to help pay for heat,electrical bills,etc..Who and where do I send it?

Mary-Anne said:
The surgeons are doing the surgery to repair Goose's broken leg.
They will probably insert a metal bar so he will set off metal detectors.

There is a possibility that a side effect of the heart surgery may have resulted in
some paralysis of his legs due to lack of blood flow to the spine during surgery,
so it is not clear how mobile he will be when this is done.

He will be woken up slowly, most likely tomorrow.

There is no internet connection in the surgical intensive care unit,
and he is expected to stay there for some days.
There is internet in the regular hospital rooms,
so he can probably be online after they move him.
The leg bone may take a couple of years to heal
completely.
I was not kidding about the physical help.

Further prayers still appreciated.

Any information about local rehabilitation hospitals also
appreciated.

Mary-Anne
My good friends are administrators at a Visiting Nurse company in the Lowell area. I'm sure they can provide me with information on good Rehabilitation facilities when the time is right. Also, as my best friend lives in Chelmsford, I'm happy to come up and help out with the wood duties too.
Rich

fossil said:
Thank you, Mary-Anne, for keeping us informed here about Goose's condition. That's a very thoughtful detail for you to look after in the midst of all you're dealing with, I'm sure. We appreciate it. Rick

+1 . . . Look after yourself and Goose first and foremost . . . but we surely appreciate you keeping us informed since many of us consider Goose part of a large, extended family and already miss his presence here. Keeping you both in our thoughts. . . .

Gooserider is talking better than yesterday. He ate his first
meal today. He had his first physical therapy session today.

Those of you who are thinking of Get Well cards, I have a better idea.
When he can talk a little better, I think he would prefer phone calls.
His life is pretty boring and I think phone calls would be more entertaining
for him than cards.

I can hardly understand him unless I listen carefully yet, so this will
take some days before phone calls make sense.

Mary-Anne

Status
Not open for further replies.