Where should I put the wood stove? Chimney is near a window!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ethan

Oct 26, 2017
Minnesota
Hi guys, I am going to purchase and install a wood stove. My issue is not knowing "where" exactly to locate it. I live in an old (small) house, the kitchen is large and has a brick chimney. This chimney seems to start in the cellar (right over the cellar door as soon as you walk down into the cellar) and it goes through the kitchen, then through the upstairs, attic and out.

I have not inspected this chimney, so I do not know its condition, it doesnt have a cap on top when I look outside. I assume it will need work to bring up to date.

In my kitchen, there is a window to the right and to the left of the chimney. I wanted to locate the stove where the trash can is located (in the photo attached), to the left of the chimney, however, there is a window right over that area! To the right of the chimney there is another (larger) window.

There is a hole in the wall also leading to the outside, it is covered with a vent cover you see right over the trash bin in the photo.

Is it ok to put the fireplace under the window (to the left of the chimney)? I can vent it into the chimney or through the hole to outside the house with a proper new chimney.. my concern is the proximity of the window to the back of the wood stove.

I can either have the fire place to the left, right of the chimney or right in front the chimney but that will push it towards the center of the room taking up too much space.

the chimney in the kitchen is this column between the 2 windows, so you cannot see the bricks.. only visible part of it is over the roof and in the cellar. House built in 1930s.

Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• 22851284_10155452747567107_1459872324_o.jpg
    22851284_10155452747567107_1459872324_o.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 332
I drew (not to scale) the 3 possible placements of the wood stove (i have not purchased one yet)
Any of these spots ok?

Attachments

• 22851284_10155452747567107_1459872324_o.jpg
    22851284_10155452747567107_1459872324_o.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 485
I drew (not to scale) the 3 possible placements of the wood stove (i have not purchased one yet)
Any of these spots ok?

I would recommend posting a floor plan showing the walls, windows, chimney, etc. with measurements. Also, include stoves you're considering. You will need to compare stove clearance requirements to the space you have to determine which stoves are viable candidates. Also, have you looked into the condition of the chimney? Being an older brick chimney, I suspect you will need a liner.

Reactions: ethan
It looks like this area has undergone several changes since there once was a stove connected to this chimney. Of the suggested areas in this location it looks like in front of the chimney is best and probably closest to the original location. The clearances on the sides could be too tight and the stove needs at least 3 ft. clear in front. Once you work with actual stove dimensions this will become apparent. Thus it seems the best location would probably be right in front of the chimney. This may take reworking or removal of the table (counter?) on the right side. Tape the floor out or make a mock stove out of cardboard that is the proper dimensions for the stove you want to install to get a better sense of size.

The chimney will need to be checked out. Nothing else can connect to it but the stove. The odds are that it will need a stainless liner.

Reactions: ethan