where to begin?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dcaron

Mar 6, 2008
eastcentral ct
I currently heat with oil and am looking for a backup source. Wood and pellets are out due to health concerns. I've been reading about propane vented and vent free stoves. On top of this I have no fireplace and if I do a vented unit I want a metal chimney on the exterior of my house. Where do I begin? I'm getting overwhelmed by company info. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate. Also, is installing a metal chimney on the exterior of the house that diifcult for me to do? I'm somewhat handy. Just found this site and can't wait to read /learn more. Thanks

Around here, propane is just as expensive as oil per gallon, and from what I've ready, has a lower BTU content per gallon.

I'm wondering if a pellet stove might work well for you? The only problem with the pellet stoves is that they do require electricity, so if you don't have power, you won't have heat.

-SF

If you go with a direct vent gas stove, you dont have to put up a chimney. If you install to an outside wall, you just vent directly out and cap at that point. You just usually need to have a small rise of pipe on the inside before you cap on the outside.

There is a lot of information that indicates a vented propane unit is better and that potential health concerns exist with non vented units. Yeah, they are going to tell you that's pooey, but when in doubt; pick safe.
You can vent a propane unit easily.
The units that are like stand alone wood stoves produce pretty good heat.
I take you at your word that you can't use pellets, etc. Too bad.

The direct vent propane units have low efficiency in my experience. They are for "looks", not heat.

I would go with an unvented propane unit. I've used them (and still do for backup) and I feel that they are safe. But even if you are concerned about the long term health risks, remember, this is for backup during an outage. You won't be using it much.

Ken45 said:
The direct vent propane units have low efficiency in my experience. They are for "looks", not heat.

If that was the case we would not have customers who complain their stove gets too hot so they can't enjoy the fire for long enough...

Direct Vent gas stoves can post over 80% efficiency.

http://www.quadrafire.com/Products/Gas_Burning/Gas_Model.asp?f=DV250

Even a little stove like that will cook you out of a sun-room / porch. For some serious heat you can step up to the big dog.

http://www.quadrafire.com/Products/Gas_Burning/Gas_Model.asp?f=topaz

Other manufacturers are going to have similar products. With most of the Quad units you can vent right out the back if you want, or up 2ft with black pipe then out the side wall. No need for a large external chimney.

jtp10181 said:
If that was the case we would not have customers who complain their stove gets too hot so they can't enjoy the fire for long enough...

Direct Vent gas stoves can post over 80% efficiency.

Okay, I stand corrected, thanks. I was thinking direct vent fireplaces (fireplace or stove was not specified in the messages) and my own experience was that there was very little heat given off.

DV built in fireplaces are slightly less efficient due to the radiant loss in the wall but get up to the high 70's % in some of the high end units. I think a couple of ours might get over 80%. Most of the ones we sell are over 70% at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.