1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Where to buy the BEST gas for my saw...

Post in 'The Gear' started by Big Donnie Brasco, Apr 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

;lol;lol;lol;lol;lol;lol;lol;lol

rilly? is tat da onist trooth?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. StihlHead

StihlHead Guest

Yuppers, it be the tooth, boss! What y'all doin' up so lates any aways, east crust times? Yo be sniffin' gas agains?
  3. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

3rd shift, lunch time. ;)
  4. nate379

nate379 Guest

What hours is 3rd shift? I worked 3rd shift for a few years and it was 3PM-11PM. 1st shift was 11PM-7AM, 2nd was 7AM-3PM.

The clock on this board says you posted at 04:37, I'm guessing that's your time? It's 01:41 here. I'm up cause I just finished painting some cabinets and I'm taking a few min break before going to bed.
  5. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    AVgas - airplanes fly it, so it MUST be better in everything, right?

uhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I think if you took a look at a typical light aviation engine like the Lycoming and Continental flat 4s and 6s in your typical Cessna or Piper you might change your opinion. These beasts are nothing at all like our typical car or lawn equipment engines. These engines are very old designs (going back to the 40s): low compression, pushrod, magneto ignition, and mostly carbureted. Large displacement but quite low specific HP (150 hp typical for 300cid and the larger 300+hp models are 500-540cid) as they are optimized to produce peak power at low RPM (2000-3000) and run at constant speed for long periods while minimizing fuel consumption.

The primary goal in aviation is reliability and for that they stick with time proven designs and change slowly. There are fuel injected models, but the majority of the engines out there are still older carburetor models. There are lots of 20, 30 yr and older Cessna's out flying with engines of similar vintage (rebuilt many times). Many "new" production light engines are actually rebuilds using old crankcases as the castings have very long lifetimes and there is a lot of incentive to rebuild given the operating costs in aviation.

As mentioned a while back there has been a push to eliminate 100LL fuel altogether but the big stumbling block is the large fleet of engines in service that would have to be rebuilt with hardened valve trains and new fuel systems. In fact conversion kits to run aircraft engines on auto fuel are becoming a big business in sport aviation as recreational pilots are trying to reduce costs.
  6. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Around here:

1st: 6am - 2pm or 7am - 3pm
    2nd: 8 hours after first
    3rd: 8 hours after second, the "overnight"
  7. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    <- - - standing down
  8. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Yeah, the military calls my hours (11pm-7am) "first shift" (which technically it is) while the civilian world labels it in order of desirability.
  9. nate379

nate379 Guest

Huh, interesting. I think the 3-11 is the best shift. Can get stuff done during the day and you still get home at a normal hour. Plus the boss and other idiots are at home so we can actually work and not worry about 628 different b/s "safety" procedures to do a simple job.

Joful and blacktail like this.
  10. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

The crew we have on my shift is second to none with a get 'er done attitude. Makes up for the hours. ;)
  11. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Sorry Donnie I think this horse got beat to death then revived then kicked to death again :D:p its still funny though !

Pete
  12. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Pete - your observation is wise. Very little could be added in terms of real content here, so I think we will close this one down.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.