Q&A Where to install? Wood Stove Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Hello, I'm planning on buying a new stove in the next few months to install in the house we are building. The house is one story (1900 sq. ft) with a full basement of which aprox. 1000 sq feet will be finished.. I am very new to the wood stove products and have absolutely no idea what I need or where to start. So here's my questions:
1. Is it better to put the stove upstairs in my living room instead of a fireplace or should I put it in the basement.
2. What is a ballbark price range for a moderately priced wood burning stove? Am I talking $3000, $5000 or $10,000?
3. What type of maintainence is required? Well, I've got a million questions but I'll leave it at that for now.

Answer:

Lucky for you, you will find a lot of answers on the Q and A and specific info pages at https://www.hearth.com/what/specific.html. Here's the basics:

1. Put the stove in the area you'll be spending the most time in. If you are always going to be hanging in the basement area, then this is a good location, since the excess heat will rise and temper the upstairs. However, if you are going to be spending more time upstairs, then it will be a pain to go down to load and tend the stove.
2. The stove will be $1000. to $1500 for the size you are seeking. The chimney and hearth, depending on exactly what you choose, will add $1200 to $2000+ more.
3. Newer stoves burn clean, so the chimney should be checked, but you may find it does not need cleaning very often. Also, you have to check the door gaskets, latches, etc. on the stove for signs of wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.