Where to Stack the Wood??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mtnhiker70

Jan 5, 2011
RI
We are stacking wood now, and considering buying some green cords now.
We have a patio near a basement door where we have racks/stacks of wood. Problem is that area is going to be full quickly. We want to order some green wood and are discussing WHERE to put it. Last year we had a log rack fall over after not being set on a perfectly level surface, and the ground was wet. Other than the patio, we have a deck with a small wood rack on it, but I'm concerned about bugs. I also don't want it in our driveway - we need the area for the cars.

Anyone have advice on how and where to stack this wood? Our backyard is a vast area of woods...

Why not stack it somewhere in the backyard? Stack on pallets or landscape timbers using block to keep off the ground.

Personally i would not worry about stacking by an entry. I want my wood to dry. So i want to stack my wood in an area with alot of sunlight and wind. My wood is on the far side of my property and bring it over as i need it, but its in an area that gets alot of sunlight. It gets sun on the front side in the am and after lunch gets sun on the back side.. thats whats going to get it dry.. getting green wood right now, that wood may not be dry. Hope you have a moisture meter. Your in RI so you have about 75 days till you start burning. If i were stacking now. I would use racks and the pallet method. I would get them up off the ground with blocks or pavers. Level them out in a prime location. Top cover and cross my fingers

Last edited:
This is our wood shed...

o03xJJT.jpg

It's up on caissons to keep ground moisture and rain runoff away from from it. The shed is very sturdy interlocking resin planks over a steel skeleton. This is inside the shed. We also have firewood stored outside on the left side of the shed.

KdHhcgJ.jpg

Toy sized firewood to feed our toy sized 7/10 of a cubic foot firebox.
Q28kDN5.gif

LW67hiR.jpg

Greg

Last edited:
Reactions: billb3 and Lone_Gun
stack it out back where it gets lots of sun and wind. You are going to have to move it again, you may as well stack it where it will dry and not be in the way. I have just gotten all of my wood out of the misc piles in the front yard, driveway, side yard, back of truck, under patio, etc. there are a couple of ways to stack on a hill, the video above works well, you just don't want to go too tall.

How steep of a slope? If you are going to be doing this regularly and having an area for drying, it might be worth a truck full of dirt to level off an area and throw down some much and pallets....

Our area is slightly sloped, and I just had to make sure that the ends are stacked leaning inwards. I think i'm going to add some T-Posts on the side by the creek just in case something shifts this winter... that's the last thing I want is the entire pile going into the creek....

You can also build a holzhausen on a hill as well,

Well, my mantra is "no moisture no bugs". So as it dries, insects will leave.

I've got three storage areas. A woodshed, a carport, and a wood row with concrete blocks, landscape timbers and 2x4s. With the concrete blocks, stacks fell over every year from frost heave until I dig some holes and made little concrete footers for each block.

Try something for a year, and then you'll get a better idea to try after that.

A wood shed is a good suggestion. I have 3 of them. I would not build one now.. i would work on the wood stacking for this year.. There is more advantages to an open wood shed as drying will be faster. Get this years wood, then build your shed and fill it up.