1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Where to store my freshly split wood

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by la boucheron, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. la boucheron

la boucheron New Member

Loc:
    foothills of the Adirondacks
    I have two places- newly constructed wood shed or the garage. In the garage I can stack about 3-4 chords and about the same in the shed. Should I be worried that the wood wont dry or begin to grow some nasty fungus if I store it in the garage too wet? Thanks.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Catskill

Catskill New Member

Loc:
    Northern NJ / Northern Catskills NY
    I'm assuming the wood was recently cut as well but both places are undesirable for freshly split wood. Assuming your wood shed is open (three sides or less) I'd take the wood shed. You'll need lots of ventilation if it's freshly cut & split. If it doesn't get some air movement it'll grow moldy and never dry.
  3. RedRanger

RedRanger New Member

Loc:
    British Columbia
    Unfortunately, the Cat is right. Maybe it doesn`t have to be sun dried, but it sure needs to be air dried. I used to be one of those (straight into the woodshed guys). not anymore, the newer epa stoves and inserts absoutley demand dry wood to function properly. Long rows in the sun and wind is best. Your other 2 previous options equal mould and mildew and a crappy burn. :down:
  4. btj1031

btj1031 New Member

Loc:
    NH
    Speaking from experience, don't stack freshly split wood in the garage. It won't season very well or quickly. I'm not one of the folks who say never put wood in your garage because ants will immediately be eating your sills. Now I put my splits in the garage after seasoning to keep the snow off and for asy access to the house. But I season outside on pallets.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.