Where's the bottom in splitters?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great value, except nearest Menard's is in Cleveland. Good thing there's a TSC down the street.

Seems to me DHT was promoting those through Menards at several hundred less than is listed in the links Tree Pointer, quite a value then.
The one at Menards was a 27 ton unit. It was $1100 minus a $200 in store credit making it $900. Some don't like the store credit but they never expire and I'm sure if you have a store by you you can spend it in time.

Reactions: Firewood Bandit
Great value, except nearest Menard's is in Cleveland. Good thing there's a TSC down the street.
If tsc is down the street, why are you fooling around with this stuff, just go get the Huskee 22 and be happy......

Reactions: WiscWoody
If tsc is down the street, why are you fooling around with this stuff, just go get the Huskee 22 and be happy......

Simple reason... I've spent too long broke not to make sure I'm getting every drop of blood from each stone.

Simple reason... I've spent too long broke not to make sure I'm getting every drop of blood from each stone.
Well in that case I would wait till you have enough to go with the Huskee. It definitely looks better built, looks like it will last longer and if need be your resale value will be much more....

Well in that case I would wait till you have enough to go with the Huskee. It definitely looks better built, looks like it will last longer and if need be your resale value will be much more....

Part of the question here is: "Is it worth maybe $100 or $200 to go with an untested model from a website instead of the one from TSC where I can just go over there with problems?"

Research indicates the answer is no.

I looked at the DHT splitters last year. There are some features I really liked. Tongue jack and the latch that holds the beam in position were the biggest, but I can buy the jack for$30 and the latch for $20-25 so...It is a very well designed splitter but I don't know about $1-200 better. There was a thread on here and a couple of other web sites with the owner answering questions. I do think you would be happy with the Huskee. I would also recommend a table for which ever one you get it keeps the round from falling off the other side. The ones they sell are flimsy.

T
Part of the question here is: "Is it worth maybe $100 or $200 to go with an untested model from a website instead of the one from TSC where I can just go over there with problems?"

Research indicates the answer is no.
There is your answer, do like me, when u can afford the Huskee 22, get it....

I debated buying a splitter for a long time, not because I was broke, but because I don't like buying and storing tools I don't really need. After splitting 14 cords in one year, and then figuring out that was only maybe 1.5 years worth at my required usage, I finally threw in the towel on hand splitting and made the decision to buy a splitter.

Trouble was, I kept missing the TSC sales on the Huskee 22-ton splitters! On the advice of a few around here, I called TSC to ask when they'd be having the next sale for $999 (normally $1199 around here). The manager told me to just come in that day, and he'd give me the $999 price. According to him, "doing a special at the regular sales price is easy."

So, if you're debating a Huskee 22-ton, call your local TSC and haggle with the manager!

You get what you pay for.

You save a little cash in buying the Huskee 22-ton and either one should serve you well. Even though I own a Huskee 35-ton and am a fan of the SpeeCo/Huskee design, the 22-ton DHT is the one I'd purchase for an entry level machine.

* Huskee 11 gpm vs. DHT 13 gpm pump on the DHT
* Huskee 13s vs DHT 11s cycle time (faster pump)
* Huskee log catcher sold separately vs. DHT log catcher included in price.
* DHT has better designed hydraulic tank breather cap

Home Depot currently has the DHT 22-ton splitter listed at $1199 in my region.

Last edited:
Site says it's $995- is it better than the Huskee in some way?

Oh, wait:
Please note that this item is discontinued and no longer available for sale.
I must have gotten the last one....

That's the same splitter that I bought from Menards with a different name. Mine is a Forest King. Menards does ship too.

And you can watch their ads online for a sale on it which happens pretty regular. And if it's on sale it'll have the store credit too. If it's $200 you can sell it on eBay. You'd prolly get $185 and clear $160 or so after fees.

Last edited:
I have friends in NE. My splitter is always for rent....

Status
Not open for further replies.