Where's the switch?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grafxman

Dec 7, 2014
Jacksonville FL
I recently bought a double wide with a fireplace. The previous owner had apparently used it judging by the ashes in it. There's a circuit breaker in the circuit breaker panel labeled fireplace. It has a folding glass door on the fireplace. Around the edges is a grill that looks as if it might emit some warm air out. However, I can find no switch anywhere. It has large area of phony stone around it with a wooden mantle above. I have searched the area and I can not find a switch. I talked to a mobile home dealer and he said all his fireplaces have a fan switch on the grill in front. All of this brings to my question:

Where's the switch? Is there a switch? One guy I talked to seem to think there might be some sort of a thermostatically control somewhere. That is to say, the fan kicks on automatically when things get hot enough. Any help?

Years ago, I had a 14 foot single wide with a fireplace exactly as the one you described. That little fireplace was a great heater, and looked good too! You would light the thing up, and close the glass doors, flip the switch and it blew cold air in, around the jacket in back, and warm air blew out the front. The little guy really put out a lot of heat.
Damn, I bailed out of that house 26 years ago, I can't recall where the switch was. It was not thermostatically controlled, it was a switch somewhere on the front of the fireplace.
I hope you get yours figured out, and good luck with that little fireplace.

What is the make and model of the fireplace? Usually this will be on a metal tag in the door frame.

Years ago, I had a 14 foot single wide with a fireplace exactly as the one you described. That little fireplace was a great heater, and looked good too! You would light the thing up, and close the glass doors, flip the switch and it blew cold air in, around the jacket in back, and warm air blew out the front. The little guy really put out a lot of heat.
Damn, I bailed out of that house 26 years ago, I can't recall where the switch was. It was not thermostatically controlled, it was a switch somewhere on the front of the fireplace.
I hope you get yours figured out, and good luck with that little fireplace.

Thanks for your prompt response. I'll try to see if I can figure out who makes it and contact them.

Look inside the door frame, usually on the right or bottom side.

Well, my face is red. The fireplace is in a dark, dimly lit corner. The front of it is black. I had to get a flashlight again to poke around. I looked inside, photographed the ID plate and continued searching for a switch. At one point I happened to glance down and noticed a tiny black bulge on the front of of the grill. It turns out that the switch is a small black rocker switch. When it's in the off position all you can see when close to the fireplace and looking down is a very small black bulge. However when standing some distance away and shining a flashlight on it it's not very hard to see. I threw the circuit breaker, hit the switch and the fan started blowing. So, problem solved. Thanks a lot folks.

Well, my face is red. The fireplace is in a dark, dimly lit corner. The front of it is black. I had to get a flashlight again to poke around. I looked inside, photographed the ID plate and continued searching for a switch. At one point I happened to glance down and noticed a tiny black bulge on the front of of the grill. It turns out that the switch is a small black rocker switch. When it's in the off position all you can see when close to the fireplace and looking down is a very small black bulge. However when standing some distance away and shining a flashlight on it it's not very hard to see. I threw the circuit breaker, hit the switch and the fan started blowing. So, problem solved. Thanks a lot folks.

Yayyyyyyy! :)

Ha Ha ! It's grand that stuff like that happens to others ..not just me. Welcome to forum! Might I suggest a sweep inspect and clean..before you burn anything in the new to you fire place.

Great! Glad you got it figured out.
Crank that baby up, close the doors, and give us the report on how well it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.