Which flush Insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My inlaws ran their jotul fan for over 12 hours off their car without starting it (Subaru Outback, normal 2.5 liter model). Battery died at that point.

I never thought of it, but I could see having a spare optima/deep cycle battery for just that type of purpose. Relatively inexpensive source of deep power supplies for low amp applications.

Though to your point, a small generator is probably a better option at that point...

Anyway....hrmph. I might have to go buy a small generator now.

That was our plan while we had the pellet insert. Eventually, I tore out the entire fireplace and installed a relocated, stainless stove flue. Now with a bigger, freestanding stove we can go all winter if we had to heating only with the stove.

CTJotul said:
Our home is 2,700 square foot with a center fireplace, which I have read on this site to be a good thing for heating with an insert.

If your home is 2700 ft2, I would look at the next size larger stoves in each of you vendors on your spreadsheet and see if those units would fit in your existing fireplace...

madison said:
CTJotul said:
Our home is 2,700 square foot with a center fireplace, which I have read on this site to be a good thing for heating with an insert.

If your home is 2700 ft2, I would look at the next size larger stoves in each of you vendors on your spreadsheet and see if those units would fit in your existing fireplace...

i have just over 3000 SQ ft, and i have the enviro venice 1700. it can heat the house till around 20 ferenheit outside.

Thanks for all the great input... speaking of power outages, we are now on day 2 here in CT. A generator (which I don't have) is an absolute must along with the a transfer switch!

My main goal of the Insert is to really only heat the first floor from a supplemental perspective. Our last will be off to college soon so the second floor will be unoccupied (we think) and the master bedroom is on the main floor.

The more we look the more the wife likes the Jotul....

Status
Not open for further replies.