Which is better soft or hard pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smg64ct

Hearth Supporter
Nov 21, 2006
Connecticut
I've been buying a good brand of hard pellets. I just thought that they would burn the best. I have avoided soft pellets because I thought they wouldn't burn as hot and clean as the hard. What are your thoughts which is better?

The opposite is true. A good premium softwood pellet works great and has slightly higher energy content.

SteveG said:
I've been buying a good brand of hard pellets. I just thought that they would burn the best. I have avoided soft pellets because I thought they wouldn't burn as hot and clean as the hard. What are your thoughts which is better?
I was taught like you to burn the Hardwood and not the Softwood......3 Years or hardwood premiums and last year was premium softwoods I did notice a bit of BTU increase. But mainly I had a lot less clinkers....
Depending on location there is cost..
Soft is more expensive in the northeast than hardwood... and cheaper in the northwest.......I don't know about the south...

Softwoods are higher btu and cleaner burn.perhaps a bit more ash thou.This will be the 1st year I switch to 100% softwood

So of that choice then would you rather go with Fir or Pine?

That seems to be the 2 blends I am able to find in my area.

I've burned both and preferred the fir slightly. But not for what you might think. The pine was Lignetics (Idaho). Excellent pellet, but the fir pellets smelt much better. So I ended up switching to Blazers.

How do I know if the pellets are soft or hard? Getting them from a local plant that just opened. Guess should just ask them (there I answered my own question) How bout the water test? someone mentioned it in an earlier post and I searched but couldn't find an explanation. Water test for pellets??

I have heard that the pine is hotter.... dunno about the order thuo...mine were a mix. I have heard the purefire is an excellent pellet to use.here in CT.

Status
Not open for further replies.