Which is more likely to cause a fire?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wtyamamoto

Jul 17, 2006
Southern NH
Just a quick question. In poking around the net, I found a website that had a little quip that stated an airtight EPA woodstove is MORE likely to cause a chimney fire than an older non-epa type. The website did not state the basis for this claim, so I am just wondering why or if the claim is wrong.

Cheers,
Wayne

Ohh boy, this is going to start a good one..
My guess, olderstoves had much higher flue temps relative to new stoves, and also larger chimneys, so creosote formation was at a minumium as long as they were burnng hot fires. New stoves dont emit as much smoke, but also dont have the same flue temps,(still very hot flue temps in a smaller pipe) so they could have the potential to form more creosote. If you burn any stove hot and clean, the effect will be minimal creosote in either installation.

I think we're confusing "air tight" with "epa compliant." They're not the same thing. As I understand it, any airtight stove is more likely to produce creosote than any non-airtight stove.

Not that I totally disagree, but it really depends on how one burns wood and on the installation. Burn hot for the first 30 min. in an EPA stove connected to an interior chimney with proper draft and creosote shouldn't be an issue. However, our neighbor has a pre-epa monster that she stokes up and then dampers right down. It is a smudgepot for about 2 hrs. She has to have her stack cleaned twice a year.

So in anwer to the original question I would say poor burning habits, bad installations (and lack of maintenance) probably cause more fires than the stove type, assuming that the stove is in good condition and of good design to start with.

Eric Johnson said:
I think we're confusing "air tight" with "epa compliant." They're not the same thing. As I understand it, any airtight stove is more likely to produce creosote than any non-airtight stove.

That's it exactly. A non-airtight will find a way to draw in air and burns very rapidly and hot which means little creosote formation but massive fuel consumption. The airtights (epa compliant or not) do run a larger risk of creosote formation simply due to the fact that they can be dampered down so much. As mentioned proper burning techniques reduce the build up of creosote and the risk of chimney fire to almost nil. Between epa rated airtights and non epa rated airtights I would have to say the epa rated ones are safer. My thought is that when dampered down secondary combustion is still taking place (or should be) thus more of the hydrocarbons are burned up and there are less of them to accumulate on the chimney walls.

That is BS..If run properly neither stove will produce dangerous cresote. Its not the stove but user errors not linning the too large chimney using wood to wet not understanding how to regulate the air controls and dampers. The Edge goes to EPA stoves, that are not air tight. They have secondary, non uses operated,, air controls to promote Cleaner burning,,making them most idiot proof

wty said:
Just a quick question. In poking around the net, I found a website that had a little quip that stated an airtight EPA woodstove is MORE likely to cause a chimney fire than an older non-epa type. The website did not state the basis for this claim, so I am just wondering why or if the claim is wrong.

Cheers,
Wayne
'

The claim is wrong.

First of all, as some have pointed out, there are EPA tested and compliant stoves. All of these are "airtight" or more specifically controlled combustion. IN fact, EPA requires that stoves be able to burn very low.....

Older, non-EPA stoves - at least the vast majority of them, are models such as the Fisher, Vermont Castings Vigilant, Buck Stove, etc. etc. - These are stoves with controlled combustion BUT no state-of-the-are pollution and creosote reduction systems. For matters of discussion, they burn about 8-10X dirtier than a newer stove.

An older non-EPA stove can build up enough creosote in two weeks for a fairly serious chimney fire - in 6 weeks, it could be REALLY HOT!

A newer EPA compliant model is likely to have virtually no tar creosote even after a season of burning (assumes decent chimney and operation). Certainly one COULD make it produce creosote, but it is unlikely.

So, mythbusters to the rescue....

precaud said:
What's an example of an "EPA rated airtight" ?

good question there are none. Pre Epa there were air tight stoves where you could starve out combustion Craig is right, at the lowest air inlet settings and dampered, they produced huge amounts of cresote. Knowing this and running them with some combustion air and run hoter it becomes less of an issue. Again intelligent usage is required

Status
Not open for further replies.