Which new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tjones2507

Sep 24, 2014
Indiana
I currenty have a little buck freestanding stove I'm wanting a newer one that is brick lined I don't use it 24/7 but I like to burn as much as I can but with so many options out there I don't know if I go with a cheaper one from menards or a expensive one that $2,000+ I also want a glass front any help is appreciated

Tell us about your home sqft insulation heat needs etc. there is also a stove exchange program going on in southern Indiana with certain electric companies

It's about 1,500 sq ft one story good insulation the buck I have now does a great job just can't seem to get it to burn long I don't know if thats because of it not being lined

I traded a reg buck using a stove exchange program , they're a great heater just not good burn times unless it's run damped way down . I know where your coming from. I'm not real sure about the ash drawers on steel stoves as I don't use mine . I have read here that once opened they have a tendency to leak air due to ash and coals getting caught in the opening. Cast iron stoves I have heard have the only true ash drawer, others will enlighten you more on this. What is your budget? Jotul makes really nice cast iron stoves . Not very familiar with morso so I can't say much there. Steel stoves there's an array of manufacturers and again that's up to you on looks and budget as well as peformance

By the way it takes a minute to learn the new stoves and get a good quality burn IMHO. But I have a PE Summit and starting to really love it. The super 27 may be worth a look it is a PE stove also

You may want to research that on the home page using the search box. I assume you have an 8" flue already I place or are you using a masonry chimney to vent your stove?

I still have an 8" flue on my summit with an adapter. Check out drolet myriad/austral at menards and englander nc30 at Home Depot they have a big following here.

Reactions: Osagebndr
If your 1500 sq ft is truly well insulated and pretty tight, I'd look hard at the Super 27. It is a very easy to use stove, and capable of some crazy long burns, depending on temps and heating needs.

What is your current chimney like? I.D., height, and construction.

Pipe is 8" ID single wall to ceiling then triple walled through attic and outside total from top of stove to tip is about 20-22 ft

I'd try whatever stove I bought with an increaser at the ceiling, before changing out for 6".

FWIW, my 27 is on about 13' total of 6", and it drafts really well.

Can I go from 6" to 8" or is it that I can't go from 8" to 6"

An 8" diameter pipe has almost 2x the cross sectional area of a 6" pipe. In theory, the 6" pipe should draft better than the 8" pipe, all other things being equal. Chimney height also plays a major role, and since yours is several feet taller than what most manufacturers specify as minimum, I'd give it a try.

Most of the biggest stoves today spec an 8" pipe, and don't do well with a smaller one.

I have zero draft issues with my summit and my increases is right off the stove. I don't have a blower yet and it radiates a great deal of heat , I'd suggest getting a blower on whatever you get tho. The PEs have a very good warranty which was a deciding factor for me and the super is supposed to be an easy breather too

Yes a blower is a must at mine has one now once the house gets warmed up I turn the blower off and it maintains the heat for a good while

Status
Not open for further replies.