Which Pellet Brand should I select?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doublewide

Jun 14, 2010
Eastern PA
Cheat River $230 I have read just seems to be a fair pellet.
Stove Chow $219 Two years ago very good, Last year decent heat, but much more ashy.
Omally's $229
Easy Heat $199
Energex $239
Hammer $260
Tractor Supply Brand $229 Who makes this, I harwood heat from them in the past and it was a very good pellet.

Thanks

Try a few bags of each to see how they burn in your stove.

I'm having really good luck with the Tractor Supply "Hardwood Pellet Fuel", it appears to be made by Energex.

I am pretty sure the tractor supply is rebagged Hamers hot ones, that would be my choice for the price. Same pellet but $31 cheaper

After you burn for awhile you will see why it matters. Some are much hotter, cleaner and and more consistant in size.

I have used TSC Hardwood Heat last year. These appear to be like Hammers. Excellent pellets.
This year they have "Tractor Supply Brand" which I am gathering are MWP
I guess I will try a few bags. Thanks

I don't think it matters as long as they are PFI certified. I use New England Wood pellets and they seem ok.
You need to try a real pellet, my buddy used NEWP for years, I sent him a few bags of Barefoots and he will NEVER burn NEWP again! He was lucky enough to get Vermonts up in NH where he lives, he now realizes the benefit to a hotter cleaner pellet, and his Harman like mine will burn almost anything.

You need to try a real pellet, my buddy used NEWP for years, I sent him a few bags of Barefoots and he will NEVER burn NEWP again! He was lucky enough to get Vermonts up in NH where he lives, he now realizes the benefit to a hotter cleaner pellet, and his Harman like mine will burn almost anything.

I'm not sure what your point is. NEWP works just fine in 18F temperature tonight. I'm not going to spend all my free time dwelling on which pellets are the best and how do I get my hands on them. I just need something that does the job. NEWP are easy to find, affordable, and provide enough BTU for me. I am glad that you have found pellets that work for you.

I really feel that pellets from your local hardware store will be good enough pellets for providing heat if they have the PFI label on the bag.

Last edited:
I really feel that pellets from your local hardware store will be good enough pellets for providing heat if they have the PFI label on the bag.
I prefer bags without the PFI label... Barefoot

The point is: The difference is very noticeable to some of us with a small-ish stove heating a large space. With single-digits last night and tonight, it's been running flat-out. I've tried NEWPs before: temperatures were around 50 degrees lower... the oil-burner would be kicking in to help. And I would have had to shut it down to clean out the ash.

Reactions: briansol
NEWPs definitely are way down my list. They are selling for around 270 near me. I wouldn't pay 170 for them. FSUs from Home Depot get my vote. I bought them as a fill in type shoulder pellet and they kicked ass when it was 8 degrees out with 45 mph winds. Kept the house at 74 with no problemo.

I wouldn't buy newp's for 150/ton. dirty heatless junk.

on that list, stove chow is a pretty good deal but i wouldn't want them in the really cold days. maybe pick up a load of hammers for the colder days too.

Stove Chow is ok for sure. A little less heat and quite a bit more ash than FSUs this year if you are just gonna grab something from a box store.

Status
Not open for further replies.