WHICH SAW?!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris D 101

Dec 23, 2008
North Jersey
After 10 years of using my sears 16" saw, I decided to get serious. I"m looking at the husky rancher, or the equivalent size stihl. I cut about 6 cord a season and $450 is around what im going spend. Now lets see what you guys think. Remember, I'm going use it as a all purpose saw(bucking limbing,etc). But I have no frame of reference to go by. So could you guys please help me decide. I see all the contractors around here use stihl, but on axeman they use husky. AAHHHHHHH! :ahhh: Oh my dilemma, I can only buy one or the other. (at least thats what the wife said) :shut:

the stihl 311 would be a good one to compare 59cc or even the stihl 290 55cc

Both companies have their fans. Both companies make a decent saw. Is there a good dealer that has been in business a long time around you? Somebody who could work on the saw should you need them to?

I mention dealer because you can buy the Husky at Lowes but I doubt you would get much service from them after that.

Matt

I bought the rancher first and after half a load of logs went and bought a stihl. The stihl just feels better in my hands and I seem to cut straighter.

devinsdad said:
...and I seem to cut straighter.

And here I thought I had heard every reason that Stihl was a better saw. ;-)

Buzz, for what you are looking to spend a Husky 455 would be ideal.I ran a friends last winter and it cut very well. It was just over two years old but it flat out cut. Little or know vibration but the engine revs quickly. Believe it or not I am a Stihl man but I was most impressed with this saw.Ken

buzzkill69- I'd listen to smokinjay's thoughts, I think he actually sleeps with his 880. My thoughts are- what do you cut? what is the normal diameter of your trees? How often do you cut? Where do you cut? and so on, and so forth. My stock Husky 455 is a good saw, just a tad heavy after a few hours. My "new" Husky 346XP flat out rocks, but would be pushing it in a new model, with your price range. My buddies really like their Stihl 290's, so there you go. If I had to start from scratch, I'd go with the dealer I felt the most comfortable with, and the brand of saw would be secondary.

To the question asked I'd go Stihl 290. I think it's pretty similar to the Rancher, but a bit more power & a bit cheaper.
If weight is a considration consider a 50cc saw. Pushing the budget a touch a Husky 346XP, 353 or Dolmar 5100 would be significantly lighter for limbing, smoother & cut faster in most wood than the other 2.

Welcome to the forum buzzkill69.

You could do a search but what you will find is that both saws have their fans and both saws are good. I've worked in the woods many years and have cut and burned firewood for over 50 years. During that time I've used many saws; both good and bad. So what do I have now? A Stihl. Is it any better than the best I've used? Probably not, but it is darned good and does the job for me.

When it is all said and done, decide how much saw you need before you decide what type of saw and how much you might have to spend. Once you know how much saw you need, then choose and for sure go with someone close who is a dealer and can handle any problems that might crop up. I like to buy local whenever possible. We have a few good ones but I went with the Stihl and have not been a bit sorry.

I just bought a Jonsered 2255, and absolutely love the saw. I got it with a 20" bar, 2 extra chains, 3 bottles of 2 stoke mix and 2 files for 430 out the door. It is similar to the Husky 455, but better looking.....hahaha

Capt said:
I just bought a Jonsered 2255, and absolutely love the saw. I got it with a 20" bar, 2 extra chains, 3 bottles of 2 stoke mix and 2 files for 430 out the door. It is similar to the Husky 455, but better looking.....hahaha

we have no dealer around here do you have a Pic?

Here it is. The dealer I got it from is D&D in Maybee Michigan. Great people, that is where I ended up taking my B&S engine from my splitter to get it repaired. Wanted almost half of what the place down the street quoted.

Attachments

• IMG00192 (800 x 600).jpg
    IMG00192 (800 x 600).jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 448
Does it have to be new????

For $450 you can find a good used pro saw...I would look for a used 440 mag myself.................Then wen you get use to it send it out and have it ported ;)

Capt said:
Here it is. The dealer I got it from is D&D in Maybee Michigan. Great people, that is where I ended up taking my B&S engine from my splitter to get it repaired. Wanted almost half of what the place down the street quoted.

Our Home Hardware carries these saws here. The neighbor has the same model. I have given him a hand a few times and really liked it. My 7yr old Jonsered brush cutter has been flawless.

Beetle-Kill said:
buzzkill69- I'd listen to smokinjay's thoughts, I think he actually sleeps with his 880. My thoughts are- what do you cut? what is the normal diameter of your trees? How often do you cut? Where do you cut? and so on, and so forth. My stock Husky 455 is a good saw, just a tad heavy after a few hours. My "new" Husky 346XP flat out rocks, but would be pushing it in a new model, with your price range. My buddies really like their Stihl 290's, so there you go. If I had to start from scratch, I'd go with the dealer I felt the most comfortable with, and the brand of saw would be secondary.

No I dont sleep with my 880 its a litte on the heavy side, I sleep with my sleek fast and sexy 460! lol 880 is a hog....

smokinjay said:
Beetle-Kill said:

No I dont sleep with my 880 its a litte on the heavy side, I sleep with my sleek fast and sexy 460! lol 880 is a hog....

hogs need lov'n too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

460 ha so you into thin crackheads?????

Battenkiller said:
southbound said:
smokinjay said:

hogs need lov'n too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya, I've been known to sleep with a few hogs in my youth. :cheese:

Yea who am I trying to kid I sleep with the both of them!

Backwoods Savage said:
When it is all said and done, decide how much saw you need before you decide what type of saw and how much you might have to spend. Once you know how much saw you need, then choose and for sure go with someone close who is a dealer and can handle any problems that might crop up. I like to buy local whenever possible. We have a few good ones but I went with the Stihl and have not been a bit sorry.

That really is where you should start. I brought up 50cc saws since you got along all those years with a smaller saw, figured you probably cut mostly smaller wood (like from a woodlot). IMO if you rarely cut wood over 20" diam, you're better off with a 50cc saw. If you're a scrounger & ussually get into big yard trees than look at 60cc (anything bigger & it's too big for limbing).

Sorry but my favorite limbing saw is my 064 with the 066 top end and a 28 inch bar.. I like the power and not having to bend over as much...

Honestly the only saw I ever want to run is that 064/066................

midwestcoast said:
Backwoods Savage said:

That really is where you should start. I brought up 50cc saws since you got along all those years with a smaller saw, figured you probably cut mostly smaller wood (like from a woodlot). IMO if you rarely cut wood over 20" diam, you're better off with a 50cc saw. If you're a scrounger & ussually get into big yard trees than look at 60cc (anything bigger & it's too big for limbing).

Thats not the whole truth limbing with a 80cc saw and a long bar does pretty darn well. 50cc is just enough to piss me off..lol

southbound said:
Sorry but my favorite limbing saw is my 064 with the 066 top end and a 28 inch bar.. I like the power and not having to bend over as much...

You would get use to a 460 pretty quick..lol

smokinjay said:
southbound said:

You would get use to a 460 pretty quick..lol

We run 440's and 460's all day and I don't see me buying one.. I like my little 290 as well and don't see the need...

I split the 064 to install bearings and a case gasket that failed..Now that I have the jig made I want ti splti the other 064 case I have and build a big bore 66 out of it...

Well, my hat's off to you libing with a 066, but I don't think that's what most folks would go for. In the $450 price range it's irrelevent anyway. I sit at a computer to earn a paycheck most days & only run a saw maybe a couple times a month. I'd prob make it 5 mins limbing with a 066 before needing a half-hour break :red:

Status
Not open for further replies.