Which Size Unit Would Be Most Suitable ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tottart

Hearth Supporter
Oct 17, 2007
Chicago, IL
www.myspace.com

My apologies - I'm new to this website - I can see that I did not describe the situation very well. We are interested in a direct vent GAS stove, or fireplace insert. We had seen photos of the stoves installed either in front of the fireplace or inside the fireplace. The problem is the fireplace is in our 22 x 13 living room and we've been told that the units we are interested in (16,000 - 31,000 BTU's) would "heat us out" of the living room where we spend most of our time. The smaller units don't have a realistic look. The Lopi Berkshire and Tree of Life have a beautiful flame and totally realistic log - they're beautiful. Another problem is how can we vent these stoves up our existing fireplace ...

We have a masonry fireplace and want to install either a stove or insert - it's in the living room, which is an "L" into the dining room. L/R 22 x 13 D/R 9 x 13 There is another open doorway on the other end of the living room to a hallway and a 5 x 13 foyer to the side of the fireplace 8 Foot Ceilings - Ceiling Fan in Living Room One story home. We have been told conflicting information and we are CONFUSED ! Would a Jotul Sebago cause too much heat in our living room ? Or we are considering a Lopi Berkshire. OR do we have to go with the smaller units - Jotul Allagash or Lopi Sturbridge ? We don't expect the unit to heat our entire floor - but really want it for looks - we are concerned that the flame appearance on the smaller units are not as realistic as on the larger units. I appreciate any opinions - THANK YOU !

It sounds like the Allagash will suffice. The flame is quite realistic on this unit as well. But you'll have to judge which flame looks the best to you.

Mike Wilson said:
Its a well known fact that the size of your wood doesn't matter...

-- Mike

It will if he puts his wood in one of the gas stoves he named.

Work with the corollary, will ya... Jeez, I can't spell out everything!

That said, gas burners are lower than pelletheads... mere appliance users, I say. If you want the stove for looks, get the one that you think looks better... and if you're not interested in heat, smaller is fine.

-- Mike

Mike Wilson said:
Work with the corollary, will ya...

Oh I was. I was.

You call yours a corollary? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.