Which stove to buy, that is the question?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tannergirl

Hearth Supporter
Nov 15, 2007
Michigan
Great website! I would love some input on a wood stove purchase. I have been heating with wood stoves for about 10 years but finally own my own place and am buying my first wood stove. My new place is a 10yo stick built, 1000 square feet (addition on the way), cathedral ceilings with ceiling fans, standard insulation and located in Michigan. It will be the primary source of heat although there is electric heat. I am going to the next size up in stove recommendations for the square footage because I want a longer burn time and a larger log length than just 16". I am also interested in being able to cook on the stove. I like the cooking plate on the Jotul 118, and know it’s a great stove, but the shape is going to be a bit problematic so it’s not my first choice at the moment.
I am considering the following: (with hopes I don't roast myself out of the loft)

* Jotul 400 Castine
* HearthStone Shelburne
* Quadra-Fire Yosemite or Cumberland Gap

While I know all about the quality of Jotul, I am not as familiar with Quadra-Fire. I do like the fact that the Quada-Fire stoves are very heavy, have a side door, and a fire screen that does not require removal of the door. Lots of bigger stoves have those features but not in the smaller sizes that I am looking at.

Any input? Further suggestions? I also wonder what folks think about the cast iron/soapstone stoves. The soapstone has long heat life, looks beautiful and has even surface temperatures for cooking.

Thank you so much! Any advice is appreciated.
Wendy

I have a soapstone and I love it. Quadrifire has a limited lifetime warranty. Many members here have them and love them too. Jotul makes great products but I might wonder whether the Oslo might suit you better if you are putting an addition on. Not to knock the Shelburn as a stove but Hearthstone is most known for their soapstone stoves, perhaps for a reason. All the stoves you mention though are nice stoves so it comes down to your preference in looks, certain features such as top loading in the Quadrifire, and things like deciding if you wish to learn the slow but steady cycles of soapstone or prefer the quicker but more cyclical nature of the cast iron stoves. So many stoves and so little time (and money)

I am only familiar with the Castine, which is a great stove - especially for that size of an area- BUT, the burn time may be a bit on the short end for 24/7 use. Perhaps one size up, the Oslo, would work for you since it has a longer burn and side door.

Check the ratings section of this web site on the Quad and the HearthStone. Quad has a good reputation - I hardly remember any bad reviews, and lots of forum members have them...same with HearthStone. So you are on the right track, just have to get down to specifics.

I would not use the weight of a stove to make a decision.....use other factors such as price, your dealer, cubic feet of firebox, etc.

How is your insulation? Do you feel like the house looses a lot of heat? The Quad units are heavy because they are steel fireboxes with cast iron bolted to the sides to make it look rustic. The combo of the steel + iron makes it heavier than some others. The Quads are awesome units and have you seen the porcelain mahogany finish? If you are considering the side door be aware of the extra clearances you need to use it, not only will you need 18" from the front but 18" on the side door as well.

How soon is the addition coming? How large? If not for a few years, I would go would go with the Castine or Cumberland Gap for now because the Oslo would be loafing 90% of the time in a 1000 sq ft space.

Other suggestions - maybe a Woodstock stove?

Hi, I just installed my new stove a week ago. I heat 2000 sq. ft. and it seems to work really well. After using the same stove for 26 years I was a little nervous about changing stoves. Although it hasn't gotten very cold here yet, mid 20's overnight and low 40's in the day it holds the coals well overnight. This may be a little too much stove for your sq. footage. But it's better to have a little too much stove than not enough.

Good Luck Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.