which stove to get???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd go Harman. Burns every pellet regardless of quality, length, amount of fines, etc etc. Just set it and forget it.

Depends on the stove. On my Enviro, the stove slides into a frame. That frame houses the vent connection. If I don't slide the stove out, I can't get into the vent to clean it. If I didn't have that issue, I wouldn't need to slide it out. It's on tracks, and is a very cool setup. I can pull the stove out in under 5 minutes. And 2 of those minutes is getting the rails in the basement. :)
The Harman 52i is on tracks as well. That would make the Enviro and the Harman my two choices most likely. Came close to buying the Harman 52i last year before we settled on the P61 and put it out on the hearth pad. we like the radiant heat the P61 gives off, as well as convection. So far the P61 has burned all pellets we have fed it as well, even swollen ones ! It just doesn't seem to care, some make more of a mess than others that's all.

X 2 with what Big papa said. Worth the drive and Harmans are pretty bullet proof. I picked mine for a reason.
X3. I've replaced one part in seven seasons, igniter, 78 bucks. Did it myself. Five minutes. Thing is a tank, does anything you want short of cook your breakfast and I imagine someone has figured out how to do that with it too. Only used dealer for the install. Buy parts on line.

I've replaced zero parts in 5 seasons

Bought a Quad E2 over the Harman 52i only because the Harman dealer (Fireside Designs) in western ma. were complete idiots and assholes. Would never suggest them to anyone as the dealer is the most important part of stove buying. Bought the E2 from Mt. Tom's and very happy. Can't compare it to a Harman but it has no problem heating my 2400 sq foot colonial in frigid weather with sub par big box store pellets. I'm sure either choice you make will be a good one!

I need to rip out the existing fireplace unit. It has an old heatilator wood unit in it now. Still thinking of how I could rip the whole thing down and use a freestanding model. I like the looks of them a lot better. The only problem I would have is with the existing chimney. It would stick out like 4 ft from the wall. Is there anyway suggestions on that? Could I easily re route the chimney?

I have an old Lopi wood insert that I let live in it's home in the stone fire place. I found another location for my P68. It has worked out very well. Do you have another place where you can install a free standing stove? What I am getting at is that it does not have to go in or in front of the "fire place chimney" necessarily.

Ya I guess they are a smaller branch of the same family company. All they do is sell them they wont even install them.
That's enough to scratch them off your list. After you have ran your stove for a few years you could get by without a tech but in the beginning you should expect a store to have help available if needed. Another very important thing is parts. If that dealer doesn't have parts on hand you could be in a bad spot in a hurry.

I am having some trouble deciding on a pellet stove to get. All the reviews have some good and bad. I have it narrowed down to Harman accentra insert, quad mt vernon e2 insert, and enviro m55 insert. I have dealers close by with some pretty good reputations. Which one would you guys go with? If someone has anyother models that I should be looking at please let me know. Which is most reliable, cheapest to fix ect...
Are you married? If so, get the one yer wife wants .............. trust me ...........................................................

Reactions: bags
My wife and I were between the Enviro and The Harman. The Mt Vernon was immediately eliminated because of the non railed setup. (I plan to do the cleanings myself). The decision was made on the Harman for multiple reasons. All being dealer location and install service. The enviro dealer was 45 min away and they would only do the stove install. They would not install the liner. The Harman dealer is 3 miles down they road (on the same road) and would handle the complete install. They also service what they sell. My first stove had a OEM defect and was replaced free of charge. I am extremely glad we went where we did. It was really a no brain-er looking back.

My wife and I were between the Enviro and The Harman. The Mt Vernon was immediately eliminated because of the non railed setup. (I plan to do the cleanings myself). The decision was made on the Harman for multiple reasons. All being dealer location and install service. The enviro dealer was 45 min away and they would only do the stove install. They would not install the liner. The Harman dealer is 3 miles down they road (on the same road) and would handle the complete install. They also service what they sell. My first stove had a OEM defect and was replaced free of charge. I am extremely glad we went where we did. It was really a no brain-er looking back.
That's a very good point and I will add to it. If I did an insert a rail set up would be a must have. Even if you pay someone to service it. Think about it. The service call is going to take less time and cost less with a rail set up. I have a wood insert and I do pull it at least once a year to clean the flue. It's a major heavy PITA! It also makes me dread doing it which adds some neglect possibly.

Status
Not open for further replies.