Which Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeddy

Hearth Supporter
Jan 5, 2008
UK
Help.
I'd like to replace our existing fireplace with a stove but am having trouble finding an appropriate one, can anyone point me in the right direction please.

First I'd say that this is not the main heating source, I have central heating so it doesn't need to be anything too powerful.
The room is L shape with the main part of it maybe 50 m3 and the other part of it perhaps 25 m3.
I'm looking for something contemporary.
I want multi-fuel and preferably free standing.
I want a good view of the wood burning (preferably a curved front, but failing that a very good sized window).
I live in the UK, so it needs to be available here (typically that means European manufacturers).

So that gives me loads of choice doesn't it.

Ah, one last thing which is where it all falls down, I want a stove in which I can place decent sized logs - most of the appropriately sized stoves seem to be restricted to 35cm or so and if I get one of those I can see I'm going to spend half my life cutting wood down to size which isn't in the plan!!! I'm guessing I want 40cm-50cm logs? (I'll be buying logs and am guessing that is a typical size).

Are there any which fit the bill please?

(So far I've only found the Scan Andersen 10 which is probably too powerful anyway).

Thanks,
Jeddy

A Wanders Versailles was the first one that came to my mind but if I think of another I'll let you know. It is a multi-fuel and can take up to 50cm wood.

Thanks for that suggestion, I hadn't come across the Wanders range which looks like it may be a possibility.

Of course if anyone else has other suggestions they would also be most welcome.

Jeddy

I like that Scan....but you are right that is it pretty powerful. You can also get Morso there, but I'm not certain what you mean by multi-fuel. Most stoves can burn the manufacturers logs and briquettes, but to burn plain coal you might need a different type. You also may lose some efficiency by going with a multi-fuel over a wood only.

By multi-fuel I do indeed mean wood and coal. I primarily intend to use wood, but am aware that if I run our of wood, to get more dry seasoned wood in quickly is likely to be trickier than popping out to get a sack of coal. A number of manufacturers describe their stoves as multi-fuel as is the Wanders Versailles.
As far as I can see, most of the appropriate Morso stoves only take logs up to 30cm unfortunately.

I think I'll pass on the Altech ones I can see why some may like them, but they don't rock my boat I'm afraid. Thanks anyway.

Jeddy

Status
Not open for further replies.