which temp reading for a 2 level cat stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceisasolid

Jan 3, 2011
North Central Idaho
Hello, my stove is a 2 level cat stove. The temps from the lower stove top to the higher fstove top are not the same. the bottom always measures hotter than the top (when the stove is on of course). when the top level reads 500, the bottom reads about 550-600. today, the top read 625 and I left it there to run and it started to smell. I didn't check the bottom temp as it probably didn't matter at the time, so I shut it down until the temp on the top recorded 550. I then placed the thermometer on the lower plate but it had cooled and was dropping while I had it shut down.

the questions:

which temp do you use for concern about overfiring the stove, the top temp or the bottom temp?

if using a stove top thermometer, anyone know the top running temp of the englander 24?

Thanks. As I type the smell is going away.

-Ray

Sounds like it is just warming up. 625 on any surface is not near overfiring. It was probably just baking in the paint. Go by the hottest surface if you want to be conservative. But don't be alarmed if it occasionally goes up to 650 or even 700F.

thank you. the manual doesn't mention this information.
-ray

Englander documentation can be a little weak, but their tech support is good. Don't be afraid to call them if something is not clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.