which wood do you think smells the best?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apple or pear, but to be honest, I tend to save apple for cooking pork outside on the firepit, it's an almost unbeatable combination.

But for burning in the stove, it really makes no odds as there is really no smell indoors.

I have been known to pop outside for a sniff when I've put some oak on the fire though....... ;-)

343amc said:
Apple for me. Wish I could get more of it. Some orchard owners around me cut it and sell the wood for upwards of $200/cord. Others bulldoze the old trees into piles and burn them. Seeing a huge pile of apple trees going up in smoke makes me want to cry.

I'd be crying too!

Apple is actually a very hot burning wood, one of the highest BTU woods about.

Shame to bulldoze it into heaps when it could keep someone (ie. you) very warm and cosy ;-)

to me oak and pine smels the best by far not locast

Fresh split Red Oak definitely is my favorite. Cottonwood smells the worst!

Diseased Poplar may be a near second for worse place. Smells like soured milk and puke.

Fresh: black birch by far, love the mint! cherry soon after. Hickory is third then sugar.

Burning is hickory and sugar. Though pine reminds me of growing up so its a lot with memories!!

Did some honey locust and personally thought it stunk! Maybe I missed it from other posters!

Fresh cut: Cherry, apple, yellow birch and cedar . . . splitting any one of these four species of woods will mean a longer time spent splitting since I am always picking up fresh splits and sniffing them.

Smoke: Beats me . . . generally I don't smell much of the smoke unless the wind conditions are right . . . or would that be wrong . . . to me usually it just smells like smoke.

Hickory and Apple smoke are my favorite, but usually have the side-effect of making me hungry.

Cherry and Sassafras are my favorite fresh cut.

I think Walnut and Oak stink both ways.

Everything else just smells like wood and smoke to me.

Cedar both fresh and burned, White Oak is a close second.

Alder for smoke. Freshly split dry cedar in the inside wood rack sure makes the house smell good.

Pignut hickory!

The Beagler said:
Ornamental pear is my least favorite to smell.

I'm with you on that one! That stuff has such a awful smell.

this is easy, the winner is pinyon, or pinon. I used to live in Taos, NM, I really miss the smell in the winter time. I'd love to get some...

I'm still learning smells but which wood gives off the "hot dog" smell? My husband thinks I'm crazy but that is what I think of when its burning...lol

stocker said:
I'm still learning smells but which wood gives off the "hot dog" smell? My husband thinks I'm crazy but that is what I think of when its burning...lol
Hickory ?

Never thought about this before but I'd have to say that I really like the smell of cherry and red oak (of course).

I also like cedar for around the campfire and the smell of it split and stacked.

Pine reminds me of Christmas so I like the smell of it even though I don't cut it that often.

Russian Olive!!
:p
Makes a person appreciate fresh air more than anything!

Sassafras hands down. That sawdust is super strong and makes all of your clothes smell like root beer. I wonder if it could be used to smoke meats?

stocker said:

That's actually your huband, blaming it on the wood.....

Wow, 3 pages and nobody said it yet so I will.

All wood smells the same to me.....smells just like $$$$$$$$

In all seriousness, burning wise, sometimes I prefer hickory, sometimes I prefer oak.

fran35 said:
Sassafras hands down. That sawdust is super strong and makes all of your clothes smell like root beer. I wonder if it could be used to smoke meats?

Ah, yup. Sassafras wins all the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.