which wood insert should I purchase??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug

Apr 24, 2008
Chicago
Can anyone recommend a fireplace wood insert that offers most bang for the buck - price vs. quality and heat efficiency?

I have been doing my research for the past month and the more I read the more confused I get!

Thanks!

regards, Doug

So many good brands to choose from!For myself i bought a harman insert!good for up to 2000 sqft.

I got the napolean 1402 insert Heats 2000sq 9 hours of burn time

Doug said:
Can anyone recommend a fireplace wood insert that offers most bang for the buck - price vs. quality and heat efficiency?

I have been doing my research for the past month and the more I read the more confused I get!

Hi Doug, welcome. There are a lot of good brands and choices. What are some brands that you've looked at that appeal to you the most? Do you have the fireplace's firebox dimensions?

Before we can make a recommendation it would be helpful to know how many sq ft you are hoping to heat . It would also be helpful to know if this is an open or closed floorplan and how well insulated the house is.

Hi,

Thank you for your responses.

I live in Chgo and looking to augment my gas forced air - about 900 sq ft - kitchen, dr, lr, - where we spend most of our time.

I have checked out Jotul, Napoleon, Country Flame, Quadrafire, buck etc -

All have good and bad reviews -

I don't want to spend a lot of money that some of these dealers are asking - ie upwards of $2,500++

Really looking for a good mid-priced insert that works and gives off the heat - bang for the buck as they say.

Thank you very much for your help.

regards, Doug

ps spend all day yesterday cutting and splitting an old oak with my new Husquavarna - quality time with my sons!!

Does the price of the stove include installation? If you have a reliable and reputable chimney sweep in your area you could pick up an Englander 13 insert for about $1K.

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/

ACE# 4171278
MFR# 50-SNC13I
Price: $999.99

I intend to do the installation myself (with the help of a friend of mine who is a heating/ac man)

I understand that I should use Kaowool to seal the bottom area (damper area), correct?

Thank you

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.