Whistling chimney, pipe/wall-thimble interface issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfitz3

Feeling the Heat
Jan 6, 2015
Northern Michigan
Had a strong wind all day yesterday. Noticed a windy/whispy sound from the thimble but couldn't say this was different than last year, my first year burning. When the wind picked up last night, the thimble began to whistle. Crap! That's new and can't be good. So, this morning when all was cool enough to touch, I started checking it out. The wind was still blowing hard and the windy/whispy sound is still present. The smoke from an incense stick gets sucked right out of the house at the point in the picture. Nothing is loose/wiggles when I try to jiggle it.

The physical separation may or not be the same as last year... It's small and isn't noticeable from more than a few feet away. Hearing a wind howl near the stove is not new either. Last year I always assumed it was wind drawing air through the stove. The whistle... This is what has me really wondering. I have no reason to believe flue gas is escaping, but worry about it.

Should I disassemble and refit the pipe/thimble connection? Maybe I put it in a bit "off" after the summer cleaning even thoughthe screws all found their original holes easily? Can/should the small gap be packed with something?

image.jpgimage.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.